Anyone Use Blender?

shift1313

I started learning Blender probably about a month or two ago. I haven't been able to devote much time to it but it has amazing potential and is free! I started learning it because i wanted to do some more physics based animations. Smoke, fog, particle systems, water etc. I have had some luck in learning these but it isn't something you can get to without devoting some considerable time.

If anyone out there is looking to learn a cool and free CAD program for characters, video games, animations/movies you should check it out.

Here are some things i did with it recently.

Just a stationary render playing around with making a wood floor material with bumps and displacement.

Rendered SolidBox.jpg

Another type of floor with bump/disp

Rendered SolidBox2.jpg

Here are some images that were part of an animation i rendered where i peeled away an outside box to show a glowing box on the inside. I had the quality low to get all the frames rendered out.

0045.jpg

0060.jpg

Blender is very cool, the GUI is/can be difficult to learn but worth the investment.

No kidding there! It is the equivalent of jumping into Photoshop or a photo program with no experience. Most of what I know about parametric CAD is useless to get around. One big detriment is that a lot of help/videos out there teach you shortcut keys and not where things are. That has been most of my time so far is just learning where to click. Once i come up with a good project i will make a video on it without using shortcut keys

With most software companies heading towards maintenance plans and subscription services now, I may end up switching to Blender at some point. I have played around with it a little bit and I do agree that the GUI is a bit difficult to navigate, but as with everything, it just takes a little time and practice to get proficient.

I'm learning Blender myself. I'd love to rewrite the interface, but for some reason the PTB at GitHub discourage that. If it were easier to use, more people would be using it. Why wouldn't you want that??

Once I have something worth sharing, I'll post it.

I was going through the tutorials a while back, unfortunately I haven't had much time lately to continue those efforts.

Most of my evenings are spent watching my 1 year old grandson and he's not much on letting me sit at the computer.

I started off with this site Blender Artists.Org

P.S.

I moved your thread to the Design Software Forum.

I forgot to add, Blender seems to work a lot better on my Linux (Ubuntu Studio) than it does Windows, but I haven't tried it on Windows 10, yet.

I forgot to add, Blender seems to work a lot better on my Linux (Ubuntu Studio) than it does Windows, but I haven't tried it on Windows 10, yet.

I still use win7 :) and it runs well for me. It ran a whole lot better once i turned on HyperThreading though. Especially for renders and physics stuff. I have an overclocked 6 core machine so 12 total cores when HT is on running at 4.15gHz. I was able to do renders in a few seconds and particle physics stuff fairly quick as well. Water simulation for an animation took many hours. I foolishly tried to simulate dropping something into a tank of water and bake the entire animation. learned that lesson 12hrs later when the results were not what i wanted :)