AutoCAD Annotation Font Size/Scale Error - Bug?

Shanni

I wasn't sure which section to post this in as this also affects output as well. Despite it looking good in paper space, it publishes to huge fonts. Print works fine though which is weird.

I've been having problems with the scale of the new AutoCAD LT 2018. This is the first time I've bumped into such problems. For some reason every time I open any (old) file, save it, and open it again - the font will be huge. Any file that I also create from scratch has the same problem. When I go to save it looks just fine, but when I open it again the fonts are 10x the size.

http://imgur.com/a/Jmw1W

I made an album showing the problems I am experiencing.

Here is a video of me showing you how I go about fixing the problem. I don't change anything at all! I just open up annotations and make sure I click the font height section (only clicking nothing else) and click OK. I don't even have to click OK, only clicking the font height section will fix the problem. It is like it forces autocad to reload it or something? I double checked the scale is right and I've also hit REGEN numerous times. I've restarted my computer too. Yet this problem still persists. I open it back up and the font is HUGE. I am at the end of my ropes here. It's annoying having to change the font each and every time I open the file. I'm not sure how to fix it as there doesn't seem to be any solves online.

Here is another video showing when I save, close my file, and open it again. The fonts are huge again. I've hit regen but it's useless.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shanni

• qball

• RobDraw

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is just a guess at what may be doing it, although I am not sure why this would affect the publish output.

You are using annotative scaling. In modelspace, check the annotative scale pop up list button on your task bar. Change the annotative scale there to get them to look the right size.

That facility is there in order to adjust the current modelspace viewing scale to what you will see once the model objects are in a viewport in paperspace, at the same scale. It's kind of a preview thing.

I have also had some weird annotative dimension behavior in AutoCad LT 2018, so there may well be a bit of a bug going on.

I agree w/ Dana on this.

Annotative scaling can be useful in certain situations but about 99% of the time I avoid it like the plague because of these kinds of quirky aspects. It adds a layer of complexity that doesn't need to be there, IMO.

If you go into the object properties you can remove the annotative property by changing "yes" to "no".

At that point, the text size you type in will be the size of the text everytime (guaranteed).

There is a feature for annotative objects where you can have them auto-scale to the layout. This could be playing a role as to why the sizing issue happens as soon as you open the drawing.

-ChriS

Annotative scaling is a great tool once you get your head around it. Once you realize how useful and easy it actually is, you might use it 99% of the time.

Thank you for the reply.

Annotative works great for everyone in office except for me. However I am the only one who has AutoCAD 2018. I'm beginning to think that may be the reason. I need to use annotative as this is an office template.

So yesterday I spent a bit of time going through a list of commands to see if there is anything I can do. As there is not much I can do with the text styles as that is set the way it is. Apparently this is the first time that this kind of problem has occurred in their 6 years of practice. I actually think it has to do with the version of AutoCAD I have. As mine is the only one that is AutoCAD LT 2018. I also tried changing the scale as well. The problem is even worse than that as I hadn't really shown what happens during PUBLISH.

So what I found worked best was

1 - When opening an older file, back save to AutoCAD 2013 to avoid the big font problem all together.

2 - Command BATTMAN can be used to sync all the attributes to their blocks again.

However both 1 & 2 are visually only. As when I publish, the font is big again for some reason. However, this doesn't happen when I print to PDF. I looked through a couple thread and it seems like this is actually a common problem. I can get around it because this office doesn't have too many sheets to publish at once (MAX of 15 sheets). I can print them individually. I've attached a video of my work around.

Just a thought...

Is there a scale issue with the style being used? A multiplier maybe? Idk, just spit balling.

Have you contacted Autodesk about this?

If you mean the AutoDesk Community Forum, then yes I have. Here is the link. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/problem-with-autocad-font/m-p/7059232/highlight/false

Just a thought...

Is there a scale issue with the style being used? A multiplier maybe? Idk, just spit balling.

I tried looking for that the first thing. There isn't one. If there was one, it should affect other people too. Since it's not, it's a contained problem with my AutoCAD only.

No, I mean to contact Autodesk to see if they can determine if this is a bug, they may want to know and fix it. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1073074

If you are on Subscription your CAD Manager can post a report through the Subscription Portal, at least it used to be that way.

Maybe an Autodesk employee will see your thread over there.

No, I mean to contact Autodesk to see if they can determine if this is a bug, they may want to know and fix it. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1073074

If you are on Subscription your CAD Manager can post a report through the Subscription Portal, at least it used to be that way.

Maybe an Autodesk employee will see your thread over there.

I am not, but my boss is. I don't think he understands the problems I'm having with the software though... :unsure:

Have your boss give you access to the portal so you can explain everything to Autodesk yourself.

I will try and do that. I'm quite new here and don't really wanna cause trouble. There are work around to this problem but it makes doing everything 10x more annoying. ;__;

Shanni are you using a template that's on your company's network?

Yes I am. :)

You could do an equivalent to a PUBLISH even with LT, if your layouts are consistent named D01 D02 Layout1 Layout2. I would use excel to write the command line sequence for Plot, we have this for our plotting via a menu just pick an option and it happens correct plot output via lisp. To see what I mean type -plot and answer the questions hopefully its supported in LT. This would save setting a Publish for every dwg but it does rely on some rules like Title block in a layout and always at 0,0.

Dana W -plot ?

command version
CTAB Layout1
-PLOT
Y

CutePDF Writer
A3
m
LANDSCAPE
N
W
-6,-6
1=2
C
Y
DesignLaserCOLOUR_1.ctb
Y
N
N
N
N
pdfname
N
y

Ok so I thought you were having issues with your template because I noticed on one of your videos that a reference was missing when you opened the file. Now that I looked at this closer I see where your selecting blocks and the text looks like attributes. Could it be that every time you open the file the block is somehow exploded? If you insert a block from a different location then you get a dialog box that has a check box asking you if you want to insert the block exploded. And if you just copy and paste the block instead of inserting it then you will have the same issue with every copy of that block. What I'm saying is that the block was inserted exploded then copied and pasted using the copy command then the attributes were edited for each location. Have you tried inserting the block again from the same location?

You could do an equivalent to a PUBLISH even with LT, if your layouts are consistent named D01 D02 Layout1 Layout2. I would use excel to write the command line sequence for Plot, we have this for our plotting via a menu just pick an option and it happens correct plot output via lisp. To see what I mean type -plot and answer the questions hopefully its supported in LT. This would save setting a Publish for every dwg but it does rely on some rules like Title block in a layout and always at 0,0.

Dana W -plot ?

command version
CTAB Layout1
-PLOT
Y

CutePDF Writer
A3
m
LANDSCAPE
N
W
-6,-6
1=2
C
Y
DesignLaserCOLOUR_1.ctb
Y
N
N
N
N
pdfname
N
y

Hmmm I tried this and it brought out the same result. Since I don't have CutePDF Writer, I just used dwg to pdf output. *shakehead*

Ok so I thought you were having issues with your template because I noticed on one of your videos that a reference was missing when you opened the file. Now that I looked at this closer I see where your selecting blocks and the text looks like attributes. Could it be that every time you open the file the block is somehow exploded? If you insert a block from a different location then you get a dialog box that has a check box asking you if you want to insert the block exploded. And if you just copy and paste the block instead of inserting it then you will have the same issue with every copy of that block. What I'm saying is that the block was inserted exploded then copied and pasted using the copy command then the attributes were edited for each location. Have you tried inserting the block again from the same location?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. XD The missing reference is because the template moves from computer to computer. The texts are attributes attached to a block. The block isn't exploded when I open it because I am still able to change all the options. It goes back to the normal size through some forceful refresh (similar to regen). I'm not sure where the block is located. I tried remaking the block, but I am not sure how it was made. I can't, for the life of me, seem to get annotation scale to work on the new block (and the annotations on the old one is whack). ;__; *dead inside* Not sure if I can solve this problem. I've been trying to fix it for 2 weeks already.

Ok have you tried to delete the annotative of the block and replace with your scale? You can have more than 1 scale for each annotative block. Right click on the block and then select the annotative scale in the menu. You have to do this in block editor because your text might have scales imbedded in the block. Now that you mention annotative scales are in use this is making more sense.