Converting from C3D 2017 to C3D 2014

Sasparilla

Is there a way to convert a 2017 drawing to a usable 2014 drawing? If I receive drawings from a PE whose office is using 2017, to prepare for staking, I can't use them unless I copy the linework to a blank 2014 drawing. Then I lose the surface information.

Download the newest version of DWG TrueView from the AutoDesk site. It is FREE. It can down convert to any older DWG file version all the way back to hammer and chisel days. (reletively speaking).

Some people have had issues with TrueView taking over as the default program for opening a DWG file after it has been used. Possibly, the next time you double click a DWG file in Windows file explorer, TrueView will open it instead of AutoCad. If this happens, go to AutoCad and open any dwg file. Then close it. The default will then be reset to AutoCad. You can also correct it by going to Control Panel and resetting the default there to AutoCad.

Is there a way to convert a 2017 drawing to a usable 2014 drawing? If I receive drawings from a PE whose office is using 2017, to prepare for staking, I can't use them unless I copy the linework to a blank 2014 drawing. Then I lose the surface information.

No, there is no way to do that, unless the only Civil objects are LandXML supported (cogo points, surface, alignment, etc)

In that case, you can transfer those objects via LandXML and transfer the base cad entities (lines, text, polylines, etc) via the drawing file itself.

This is all clearly documented

Trueview is not going to help you any, and even if it would, it's not needed because there is no difference in DWG versions here.

2013-2017 DWG versions are the SAME.

No, there is no way to do that, unless the only Civil objects are LandXML supported (cogo points, surface, alignment, etc)

In that case, you can transfer those objects via LandXML and transfer the base cad entities (lines, text, polylines, etc) via the drawing file itself.

This is all clearly documented

Trueview is not going to help you any, and even if it would, it's not needed because there is no difference in DWG versions here.

2013-2017 DWG versions are the SAME.

My mistake. I thought 2017 was the format change year. Must be 2018 then. I didn't even notice I was in the C3D forum. :(

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same problem with our survey guys. They run Carlson and we run Civ 3D 2018. There Carlson is a later edition and when I sent the file to our surveyor, he was unable to even open the file. Had to do a EXPORTTOAUTOCAD2013 for them to be able to utilize and save the file. Would NOT let him save a file if i did a SAVEAS 2013 edition. If I am not mistaken, the Civil objects are exactly what the issue was.

We had the same problem with our survey guys. They run Carlson and we run Civ 3D 2018. There Carlson is a later edition and when I sent the file to our surveyor, he was unable to even open the file. Had to do a EXPORTTOAUTOCAD2013 for them to be able to utilize and save the file. Would NOT let him save a file if i did a SAVEAS 2013 edition. If I am not mistaken, the Civil objects are exactly what the issue was.

Carlson is not a CAD version. Carlson runs on top of AutoCAD or Civil 3D or other CAD engines.

2018 is a new DWG version, incompatible with any earlier version. The presence or absence of Civil objects makes no difference in this case.