Drawing revision number

vinod

I have a query related to drawing revision history.

Suppose I have an approved drawing with revision '2'

Now I want to submit AS-BUILT Drawing, but there is no difference between approved and as-built drawing. My question is 'what is the revision number of AS-BUILT drawing?'

Is it 3 ? or can I keep revision unchanged ?

That is for your company, or the customer, to sort out. Our "normal" practice is to keep alpha issues until AS BUILT at which point it becomes Issue 1. We have one customer who has ISSUE Z for AS BUILT. If however we are already on numeric issue, AS BUILT will be the next available. This means one sheet of the GA may be AS BUILT at issue 1, another sheet at issue 5.

If it is in the contract and we are being paid we will up-rev the drawing set as often as the contract requires, even without any actual change. If we can't get paid for up-reving we will only advance the drawings when there are changes.

That is for your company, or the customer, to sort out. Our "normal" practice is to keep alpha issues until AS BUILT at which point it becomes Issue 1. We have one customer who has ISSUE Z for AS BUILT. If however we are already on numeric issue, AS BUILT will be the next available. This means one sheet of the GA may be AS BUILT at issue 1, another sheet at issue 5.

If it is in the contract and we are being paid we will up-rev the drawing set as often as the contract requires, even without any actual change. If we can't get paid for up-reving we will only advance the drawings when there are changes.

Is there any specific standard to follow ?

Is there any specific standard to follow ?
not that I am aware of. Ours is always writen into the contract at the bid stage. If they don't supply their own standard they have to accept ours. And don't ask for a copy, it is considered confidential and I couldn't possibly supply it.

What our company does is that if the drawing was issued rev 2 with rev text then we dont edit that rev or rev text as the customer has already recieved a rev 2 so I personally would use rev 3 with rev text as built issue to prevent any confusion on the customers side. Well thats the way my company works. Hope this helps.

What our company does is that if the drawing was issued rev 2 with rev text then we dont edit that rev or rev text as the customer has already recieved a rev 2 so I personally would use rev 3 with rev text as built issue to prevent any confusion on the customers side. Well thats the way my company works. Hope this helps.

This is what I ment. But one of my fellow cader didn't agree with me.:x

If I get any standard specs, I will show him..:wink:

Normally the standard is decided by the company as dbroada said earlier. Our company has our own cad standard which we drew up together, it makes things a lot easier in the long run.

having failed to answer your question up till now, we would never put out a drawing with the same rev but different status. They either get a new status AND a new issue or they stay the same issue and status.

having failed to answer your question up till now, we would never put out a drawing with the same rev but different status. They either get a new status AND a new issue or they stay the same issue and status.

Yes! I am agree with you.

One of my fellow cader have the debate on revision history. He will not agree with next revision number. Thats what I was asking in my post...o:)

• 1 year later...

Here's a method our company uses. (extract from our 'CAD office procedures' manual)

http://www.wavepower.org.uk/DWG_REVISION-VERSION.pdf

My worst fear is that the odd client wants all the history removed from the revision panel, just leaving the 'as built'.

My worry is that this effectively hides all the history, and nothing can be deduced/learnt from those changes, not to mention any accountability for those changes.

We start as-builts as separate from our approval drawings.

We have a title block notation that states:

"These "As-Built" drawings are based on the Approved revision 4 drawings for this project, reflecting modifications for field conditions."

If we had to revise it (and that's only happened once; where a client asked for less detail), it would be "As-Built Rev.1"

It's fairly clear, considering that if it says "As-Built" it's an as-built.. if it doesn't say that, it's part of our approval sets.

Our revision numbers reflect the revision for that type of drawing. As-built rev. 4, would (to us at least) seem like a confusing way to release the first set of as-built drawings.

We start as-builts as separate from our approval drawings.

We have a title block notation that states:

"These "As-Built" drawings are based on the Approved revision 4 drawings for this project, reflecting modifications for field conditions."

If we had to revise it (and that's only happened once; where a client asked for less detail), it would be "As-Built Rev.1"

It's fairly clear, considering that if it says "As-Built" it's an as-built.. if it doesn't say that, it's part of our approval sets.

Our revision numbers reflect the revision for that type of drawing. As-built rev. 4, would be a confusing way to release the first set of as-built drawings.

Yes, It's perfectly clear to someone that deals closely with dwgs, my problem is that I tend to get interference from people that don't fully understand dwg concepts, dictating what appears in these boxes.

E.g. I'm removing history for a client because they don't want anything appearing in there, our directors say 'give them what they want' I just feel they could potentially hiding the process that went on, to give the impression it went smoothly.

oh.. gotcha. Yeah, we sometimes issue final "clear" drawings. Some groups, (hotels especially) like a clear version on file, incase they should later want to get the same stuff done at other branches.

Most "as built" drawings that I've seen are a separate set of documents from the design drawings, all history removed, and often a different title block because they are not generated by the design company.

• 9 years later...

Tender Drawing - for tendering but not for construction

Construction Drawing - Almost exactly to the site (In this stage construction can be revise due to site condition)

Shop Drawing - It happen with some parts or items in construction drawing not suitable at the current site condition. Must get approval before commence it. 

As-Built - This is a final or exactly what have built at site. It totally not the same as construction drawing (revision) because some detail in the construction maybe not complete. In this stage it can said as final or clean (Never indicate what revision from the revised construction drawing).Unless during the final measurement some change have made by client/designer then your as-built maybe can have the revision (its because you want to separate what is the latest and which one is not). Simple :)

Correct me if am wrong :)

Edited by kakipancing

A blast from the past but essentially yes.  If there were 3 design revisions in the construction set and the set is annotated, those don't necessarily apply to the asbuilts for example.  But the client may want those revisions annotated for future reference.  Generally the asbuilts don't have revisions.  If you need to change something to match asbuilt conditions, you just change it before submitting the set.  The asbuilts are pretty cut and dry since the project is done or near completion at that point anyway.

The only time I saw a client that wanted the design revisions in the asbuilts was for a corps of engineers project.  They specifically requested it because of the complexity of the project and its impact to national security.  But normally this isn't going to be an issue.

Which, corps of engineers stuff is unique anyway.  Any changes to the construction set for the asbuilts have to be clouded and annotated with specific colors.  Red for deletions, green for additions, blue for anything requiring special notes.

ChriS

• 3 years later...

As-built   Drawing No revision . REV- AB,

When you submit As built drawing for Approval - that time only consultant have only two option - Stats -A & D (Approved or Reject ) .

If drawing Are Reject(Stats-D )- After Reject we don't want to do next revision we have to submit -AB revision.( consultant will not give stats -B Approved as noted , Status -C Revised - because  as built drawing done by his approval of installation work  )

Only You have to Update Submission date in revision bar .

As built drawing means - Same as site installation... 

Thanks,

PK   

I'll refer back to the first answer, it is up to the client and your company to sort out.

Over time and many clients I have seen them all but if the client wants my to do revision by animal names (Aardvark, Bear, Cat, Dog, Elephant) then that is how it will be, they pay the bills, the drawings will be compatible with their systems.

Not every system follows an alphanumerical order (A-B-C, 1-2-3), some have prefix depending on the stage (P1, P2, C1, C2, A2, A2), others are straight A, B, C, or 1, 2, 3. Seen them all. But stick to company procedures unless the client says otherwise

(slight difference to As-Buit and As-Installed - As-Built is how it left the factory, As-Installed is after commissioning and any on-site modifications depends what you are drawing)