Slice tool?

musyas

SLICE - Part 1

We can modify solids using the SLICE command. The user has the option to retain one or both halves of the sliced solid. A cutting plane must be defined to slice a solid. The AutoCAD default for creating the cutting plane is a two point pick. Other cutting planes can be defined by picking three points, a surface, another object, or by indicating the slicing plane relative to the current XY, YZ or ZX planes.

SLICE - Part 2

In AutoCAD 2009 the SLICE command can be invoked from the Ribbon (Home tab > Solid editing panel), from the Browser Menu (Modify > 3D Operations) or from the command line (Slice).

When the command is invoked AutoCAD will prompt:

Select objects to slice:

It repeats:

Select objects to slice:

It then prompts:

Specify start point of slicing plane or [planar Object/Surface/Zaxis/View/XY/YZ/ZX/3 points] :

It prompts:

Specify second point on a plane:

It prompts:

Specify a point on desired side or [keep Both sides] :

At this point you'll notice that AutoCAD has sliced your object and you can elect to edit each half of the solid independent of the other.

Note: It looks like AutoCAD defaults to a 3 point pick but take my word for it that you can do it with 2 picks.

You're entirely welcomed, musyas. Any other questions regarding SLICE? Have you tried using the command? If so, were you satisfied with the results?

rgarjr: Are you referring to the YZ and ZX options? No, I have not. Most of my 3D drawings aren't all that complicated. Anyways, I lazy. I tend to use 3 point as my default. Most of my slices fall in three categories: horizontal, vertical and at a 45 deg angle.