Dynamic Block - Flush Door - Arc Problem

nicolas

Hi.

While trying to do a dynamic block of a timber flush door for a 150 and 200 mm wall, I am having a problem with the arc representing the door swing.

When door is stretched, there is a gap appearing between the door panel and the arc and same also with the door frame. The more the door width increases, the more the gap. Trying to add parameter deform both door panel and the door frame at connection.

Your help and input are greatly welcomed. Thanks.

FlushDoor Dyn Block.jpg

FlushDoor DynamicBlock.dwg

As we all know an arc is a part of a circle so it has a center point. So when you change the size of the door the arc is maintaining it's distance to the edge of the arc relative to it's center point, the door's size in the X and Y direction is referenced from it's base which may not be the same as the arcs center point. I may not be explaining this very well. You need to have the same point of reference for both the door frame and the arc so that when you change the size of the door you will have a consistent result. I didn't have time to work on your block but I think you can figure this out.

The problem is that the base point of the linear parameter is set away from the base point of the door and the arc, the math is hard to imagine with the actual size of your block, so try to visualise this,

a door width of 900mm and an arc radius also 900mm, now your parameter starts and ends 50 mm to either side of the door leaf to account for the frame so it is 1000mm . What happens when you increase the size of the linear parameter to 2000mm You double its size, the arc also doubles to 1800mm, but the door is stretched by 1000mm and so becomes 1900mm. You can't scale the door or it will also get thicker, so you have to make sure that the base point of your linear parameter is at a common base point for the stretch and the scale actions (the centre point of the arc). There are ways around that if you really need the linear parameter to start at that point ie. it is the actual opening size. BUt see if you can understand what is going on first in your block.

Hi I do understand that while the radius of the arc and the width of the door pane should be equal they are not due to the linear parameter-stretch action which is greater than both due to the frame width. How would you tackle this issue? What do you advise? Thanks.

If changing the placement of linear parameter "door width" isn't an option, I would add another linear parameter into the block (maybe along one edge of the door that is the same size as the door and arc radius) then alter the stretch action selection set that alters the door size to include this new parameter. Then delete the old scale action and create a new one that uses the new linear parameter and select the arc in the selection set. Finally in the properties palette for the new linear parameter set chain actions ="yes", this links the new parameter actions to work with the "door width" stretch. Sorry if this is a bit long winded and I deliberately didn't include an adapted block, if you try it yourself you will probably find different ways to make it work. If you do get stuck just let me know

Thank you very much. Your input enable me to solve the arc-door panel problem completely. Been to youtube a few hours ago and all the video on dynamic blocks are either without door frame or with the linear parameter attached to the door panel width.

However I still have a problem with the block. When the door is flipped along inside/outside, and after that is stretched, the arc get separated from the door panel. I believe this problem solved, the dynamic block is fully workable.

FlushDoor DynamicBlock2.dwg