XREF PDF Files ?

David Bethel

Here's a new 1 on me.

My client had an existing building surveyed. The drawings from the renovation were hand drawn from the 90's. So they had those scanned into pdf. Mostly wall lines, windows and doors

The architect ( who I will contact next week ) looks to have somehow xrefed these pdf files as back grounds.

I haven't found a way to get DWGTrue view ( 2016 ) change the paths. ( I'm sure that is operator error )

DWG Convert has no clue how to handle it

I wondering if I will have to trace the pdf lines ?

Have any of you guys run into this ?

-David

I would assume that they were Inserted as PDF Underlays?

I also expect you to have to trace them, unless they were done on one of the very latest versions which may have the ability to convert the PDF linework into Autocad objects.

If you click on one, what sort of object does it come up as in Properties?

You might try downloading DWG Trueview 2017, as I seem to recall that may be the version with that magical PDF conversion voodoo. :huh: :beer:

I have had problems with x-ref paths with DWG TrueView in the past, but if all files are in the same folder, then the x-refs are picked up when the drawing is opened, despite the pathing.

I am presuming that you were sent all the pdfs which are x-reffed.

I have had problems with x-ref paths with DWG TrueView in the past, but if all files are in the same folder, then the x-refs are picked up when the drawing is opened, despite the pathing.

I am presuming that you were sent all the pdfs which are x-reffed.

All but 1 pdf were included.

All files are in a single local drive directory. The xref path strings are like a mile long and point to a network drive. Oh the fun ~!

Thanks -David

I would assume that they were Inserted as PDF Underlays?

I also expect you to have to trace them, unless they were done on one of the very latest versions which may have the ability to convert the PDF linework into Autocad objects.

If you click on one, what sort of object does it come up as in Properties?

You might try downloading DWG Trueview 2017, as I seem to recall that may be the version with that magical PDF conversion voodoo. :huh: :beer:

I had no idea you could xref a pdf. They show in a xref properties box. But the paths are not editable.

I have trueview 2018. I'll try that to convert the monster. :fingers_crossed_smiley ( if there were 1 )

Thanks! -David

When you use PDFATTACH they are in the Xref list, thats the way we do it.

Have you tried putting xref's in same spot as your dwg this gets around the can not find when using xref DWG's no re-pathing required.

2 things. First, David, "you had no idea pdf could be xrefed"? That is like my most popular xrefs. Second, there are programs that will trace the pdf for you. Cost money though.

PDFATTACH - WOW talk about mixing oil and water !

I did open the pdf, used 'copy full file name' option in PDF-XChange Editor Pro, pasted into 'found at' field in the xref dialog box.

What a horrible way to provide existing site survey drawings ! Hell the wall lines are 3" thick ! This is no way to provide an accurate plan for a remodel / renovation.

A logo ? Maybe. Construction documents ? Never

Rant off ( for now )

-David

sb-.jpg

I expect that you have found it by now, but when a drawing is opened in DWG TrueView 2018, the external Reference Palette opens up. One can choose a new path for the xref files.

Xref palette.jpg

I expect that you have found it by now, but when a drawing is opened in DWG TrueView 2018, the external Reference Palette opens up. One can choose a new path for the xref files.

I didn't work with pdf files ?

I had convert the main dwg to 2012 and open it with full acad. -David

Is there no browse button available when you click the xref name in the Saved Path line of the xref manager window?

IF, and it's a big IF. If the pdf was created in CAD as a vector pdf, there is a button on the xref ribbon to enable snaps in the pdf. That makes tracing them easier. I also reduce the fade to 50% so I can see the snap icons. With those fat (doubled up close) lines there will be a lot of snaps hiding just near enough to the one you want to be a huge bother.

The pdf xref can be scaled by reference if there are dimensions, or scaled according to the drawing title scale IF (another big one) the pdf image was generated full size from AutoCad rather than being nearly useless raster images.

I have had issues drawing on top of pdf's and then selecting the drawn geometry. The pdf seems to select no matter whether I window left or right. Lock the layer you have the pdf on to avoid hassles like only finding this out after moving or copying the pdf somewhere it will be disliked immensely.

This is day to day business for me. I've attached multiple pdf's to every single cabinetry/millwork drawing I have done for two years now. It's become like breathing (through a straw, but breathing)

When I used to freelance I would tell my clients to give me CAD files for xrefs or lots more money and lots more time.

The pdfs were generated from scans of hand drawn architectural drawings from the 1990s renovation of the property.

I doubt they be useful for any thing other than a pretty picture. Thanks. -David

No snaps in them thangs. And any conversion program that claims to handle rasters will turn almost every little contiguous pixel group into a line. The best you can get out of them is to scale by reference, and use them as just that, a reference.