• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jellyfish

• f700es

• stevsmith

• Strix

While I do understand that microstation is just as popular as Autocad, this is an AutoCAD forum. I myself haven't used it in almost 8 years and then as little as possible. Aren't there any microstation forums out there?

Guest Alan Cullen

f700es......

One of our offices in Melbourne used microstation (many years back)...no acad. We had a major flood mitigation job to do here with the Cairns City Council......it was handled out of Melbourne......and they sent to us microstation/acad transfer files (for us to do final checking). You would not believe the problems we had with those transfer files.

So yeah......what I'm saying is that this is an acad forum.....not a microstation forum. The two have not a lot in common. If you want a microstation forum........go to Bentley and ask them to set one up.

Sorry......my $0.02

Right! thanks Guys for your opinions. it's just that microstation is as popular as autocad in the UK. I thought it might be an idea to increase one's CAD flexibility.

Guest Alan Cullen

jellyfish......:lol:

Has been asked and answered many times before......it's my 2 cents worth....my opinion.

Wikipedia has a very definitive desciption of the term. You will get used to seeing that expression on this forum many times. :D

My 1st job out of school was at a place that just switched over from microstation to Acad. I was brought in as the Acad expert. I hated having to open that thing. Usually I would just open and save out as a dwg and go on to acad to make changes. It was just so "foreign".

f700es......

One of our offices in Melbourne used microstation (many years back)...no acad. We had a major flood mitigation job to do here with the Cairns City Council......it was handled out of Melbourne......and they sent to us microstation/acad transfer files (for us to do final checking). You would not believe the problems we had with those transfer files.

So yeah......what I'm saying is that this is an acad forum.....not a microstation forum. The two have not a lot in common. If you want a microstation forum........go to Bentley and ask them to set one up.

Sorry......my $0.02

Right! thanks Guys for your opinions. it's just that microstation is as popular as autocad in the UK. I thought it might be an idea to increase one's CAD flexibility.

It is a good idea if you have the opportunity to learn another "tool". Yes, it is still popular here in the States as well. A lot of big AEC firms still use it. Most State run engineering departments use it for road design as well.

I had very juicy job offers in the recent past, but all they used was microstation. the employer was even ready to take me on 'if I had so much as set my eyes on a microstation tool'.

Unfortunately, I hadn't. so I had to let it pass.

you never know when a little extra knowledge could spin a load of extra bucks!

Anyway....

As alan would say, My $0.02.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread, I've not visited this site for ages and just couldn't resist joining in a microstation thread.

As I sort of stated in a post ages ago, the most frustrating thing about the whole Microstation / Autocad issue is the fact that both use different ways to do the same thing and therefore there's nothing more annoying than being on top of your game , only to suddenly become totally inept due to a simple change in software usage.

Basicaly a tutorial in Microstation I'd agree is out of place on an Autocad forum, however a 'migration' thread describing the fundamental differences about the way each system deals with the same design processes would help.

In the last 6months I had to watch all my professional pride slip away from me purely down to my inability to use autocad with any confidence - in my opinion it'll always be my nemesis and I'll keep on despising it for making me feel like an idiot - which I'm sure is pretty much everyones (who use Autocad) attitude towards using microstation.

Having said all that though, the few times I've felt good using Acad was after I'd successfully had a problem solved on this bulletin board by you guys, so should a Microstation / Autocad migration thread open up, I'd be more than happy to help anyone cope - no matter how pissed off they may be :D

Hey Extremecheese, it would be really useful to get some idea from you what the main issues are in transitioning from Microstation to AutoCAD. As someone who has been through that process, I'd say you are ideally positioned. How do you fancy writing an article for us covering the main points. We'll publish it in our tutorials section.

I'd be interested to read that when you write it :)

the only place I've heard of microstation used as a preference here is within the rail industry - but for some reason my husband seems to have AutoCAD on his laptop

as a contractor another string to my bow would be handy - so if I can have a read of your forthcoming article I may be able to get my hands on a loan of a computer to play with for an hour or two :D

recently we have been dealing with new clients and they have all been working in microstation and now 2008 can export to dgn format i invested in this book so i could at least get an idea of using microstation and the "language" for it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microstation-V8-Autocad-Users-Aarhus/dp/1418041823/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/202-8350050-6776625?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184428267&sr=8-2

i have only just started to skim through the book when having time ( i arrived in the post the other day)

so far it seems ok, will know more in about a week and update here.

• 10 months later...

hi!

i am new to this forum!

can anyone tell me if i could get any opensource tool to convert V8DGn files to GML format???????

thanks in advance,

lena

• 3 weeks later...

As a very long time user of MicroStation (20 y) I had my preferences (MS), I now consider both to be really about even in user friendliness with the edge going to AC on some fronts and MS on others. The new XM version looks and feels like AC and has tons of AC like functionality. The newest version "XM" opens and works AC files in their native format and will save MS files to AC format. The key is to try not to be too much of an application snob but to be as knowledgable as possible as a professional designer as you never know where your next opportunity will come from. Having said all of that I still Kind of Like AC better even though I have less time with it (4 y). As an independant professional I have both ADT 2009, and XM licenses and they more than earn their keep.

p.s. try these

http://www.tenlinks.com/CAD/USERS/Microstation/index.htm

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=565

http://www.microstationtips.com/

After reading extremecheese's comment I too would be open to anyone who needs help in migrating or learning the simi-differences of the two.

• 7 months later...

Hi! Just joined. I concur with Extremecheese, though I am on the other end...I'm a CAD user who can't stand Microstation. I had never heard of it until I got my internship. It's rather irritating that there is no easy way to convert from CAD to Microstation. Also the user interface on Microstation is a bit frustrating, since the short cut keys don't seem to match the actions like how they do with CAD (i.e. type "l" for line). Lol, I also find myself continually pressing ESC to no avail thinking it will unselect everything XD.

Indeed, a tutorial from Bentley would be nice. :)

hi!

i am new to this forum!

can anyone tell me if i could get any opensource tool to convert V8DGn files to GML format???????

thanks in advance,

lena

PLEASE START A NEW THREAD AND DO NOT TAG INTO OTHER QUESTIONS.

IF YOU START A NEW THREAD, IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY YOU WILL GET AN ANSWER QUICKER.