How to display LISP code in msword with formatting

jbreard

Hello,

Maybe this question has been answered a thousand time but if it's the case I can't find the answer.

I would like to display code snippets in MSWord without loosing the IDE formatting (I have to write a comprehensive description of a large programm we use at work). I could always settle for some "printscreen" option but this is really ugly.

Does anybody has a workaround for this issue ?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Jacques

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grrr

• jbreard

• ronjonp

• marko_ribar

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Thanks to you all for your replies. I'm not quite sure I fully understand them yet but I will try to work around my problem with your hints !

To Lee Mac : yes I want to emulate the color and formatting that the IDE provide. I guess your formatting programm do just that. I will try it.

Thanks and best regards,

Jacques

Ron,

What arguments you passed to Lee's routine?

With ".doc" works just fine, but not with ".docx":

(LM:LISPStyler file
 '(
   ("" "")  ;; Container
   ("" "")  ;; Quotes/Dots
   ("" "")  ;; Brackets
   ("" "")  ;; Multiline Comments
   ("" "")  ;; Single Comments
   ("" "")  ;; Strings
   ("" "")  ;; Protected Symbols
   ("" "")  ;; Integers
   ("" "")  ;; Reals
 )
 ".doc"
 nil
)

@Grrr, I am now just guessing, but I think you didn't understood usage of LispStyler routine... Output should be "htm" or "html", and when file is created you should see to insert html file into Word... Finally you save as doc, or docx...

@Grrr, you start Word, then instead of new file, you go to open, then browse to *.html and then accept option Word asks you... I know that formatting is somewhat bad, but then again it's colored like it is in html file you preview with your browser...

There may be another way depending on how far you want to go with styling you can use macros inside Word these are VBA code I just had a quick play about making "(" red in colour, not really tested as I don't do lots of macros in word.

With Selection.Find
       .Text = "("
       .Replacement.Text = ""
       .Forward = True
       .Wrap = wdFindAsk
       .Format = False
       .MatchCase = False
       .MatchWholeWord = False
       .MatchWildcards = False
       .MatchSoundsLike = False
       .MatchAllWordForms = False
   End With
   Selection.Find.Execute
   Selection.Font.Color = wdColorRed
   Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

@Grrr, you start Word, then instead of new file, you go to open, then browse to *.html and then accept option Word asks you... I know that formatting is somewhat bad, but then again it's colored like it is in html file you preview with your browser...

Grrr, If you are using older versions of MS Office, you can alternatively do like this... Make *.html file with LispStyler, open *.html in your browser, select all content, press ctrl+C, start MS Word, press ctrl+V... So copy+paste works, you should get colored texts like in *.html file...

Hello,

I tried Lee Mac's formatting programm and managed to get an output in .html. The result is clearly correct (I mean it's proper html) as I can open it in Firefox but I have no color and no particular formatting.

After some research, it is my understanding that Lee's code refers to a separate .css file containing the description of all the styles. So if that's correct, I have to understand how to make such a .style to do wathever I want with the .html display. Is that right ?

Sorry if I'm not very clear. All this is totally new to me :)

Jacques

Grrr, If you are using older versions of MS Office, you can alternatively do like this... Make *.html file with LispStyler, open *.html in your browser, select all content, press ctrl+C, start MS Word, press ctrl+V... So copy+paste works, you should get colored texts like in *.html file...

Marko, I'm using MS Office 2013 Pro - and still not able to display correctly the code inside word (I tried various paste special options), it literally displays like this (sample code) :

<pre>

<span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">defun</span> C:test <span class="brkt">(</span> <span class="func">/</span> SS i e enx o <span class="brkt">)</span>
 <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">if</span> <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">setq</span> SS <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">ssget</span> <span class="str">"_:L"</span><span class="brkt">))</span>
   <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">repeat</span> <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">setq</span> i <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">sslength</span> SS<span class="brkt">))</span>
     <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">setq</span> e <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">ssname</span> SS <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">setq</span> i <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">1-</span> i<span class="brkt">))))</span>
     <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">setq</span> enx <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">entget</span> e<span class="brkt">))</span>
     <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">setq</span> o <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">vlax-ename->vla-object</span> e<span class="brkt">))</span>
     <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">cond</span> 
       <span class="brkt">(</span> <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">vl-some</span> <span class="quot">'</span><span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">lambda</span> <span class="brkt">(</span>x<span class="brkt">)</span> <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">=</span> x <span class="quot">'</span><span class="brkt">(</span><span class="int">0</span> <span class="quot">.</span> <span class="str">"INSERT"</span><span class="brkt">)))</span> enx<span class="brkt">)</span> <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">alert</span> <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">vla-get-EffectiveName</span> o<span class="brkt">))</span> <span class="brkt">)</span>
       <span class="brkt">(</span>
         <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">vl-some</span> 
           <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">function</span>
             <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">lambda</span> <span class="brkt">(</span>x<span class="brkt">)</span>
               <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">=</span> x <span class="quot">'</span><span class="brkt">(</span><span class="int">0</span> <span class="quot">.</span> <span class="str">"TEXT"</span><span class="brkt">))</span>
             <span class="brkt">)</span>
           enx
         <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">alert</span> <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">vla-get-TextString</span> o<span class="brkt">))</span>
 <span class="brkt">(</span><span class="func">princ</span><span class="brkt">)</span>
</pre>

Or just the clean code, without formatting (no color, no row indexing) - atleast the tabbing is retained, literally like this:

(defun C:test ( / SS i e enx o )
 (if (setq SS (ssget "_:L"))
   (repeat (setq i (sslength SS))
     (setq e (ssname SS (setq i (1- i))))
     (setq enx (entget e))
     (setq o (vlax-ename->vla-object e))
     (cond 
       ( (vl-some '(lambda (x) (= x '(0 . "INSERT"))) enx) (alert (vla-get-EffectiveName o)) )
       (
         (vl-some 
           (function
             (lambda (x)
               (= x '(0 . "TEXT"))
             )
           )
           enx
         )
         (alert (vla-get-TextString o))
       )
     )
   )
 )
 (princ)
)

Hmm... Exactly what I don't have... Copy+paste works on MS Office 2010, and pure open file on MS Office 2016...

So I don't know how to investigate further more... Notice that I get the same as you when I use pure open file in MS Office 2010...

Maybe I got wrong html output from LSP2HTML, since inside the .html file the code looks exactly like the second one I posted: no color, no row indexing, just tabbing retained.

Thats why I asked Ron what arguments he used for Lee's LISPStyler. Else I would just blame my MS office 2013.

Ron,

What arguments you passed to Lee's routine?

With ".doc" works just fine, but not with ".docx":

(LM:LISPStyler file
 '(
   ("" "")  ;; Container
   ("" "")  ;; Quotes/Dots
   ("" "")  ;; Brackets
   ("" "")  ;; Multiline Comments
   ("" "")  ;; Single Comments
   ("" "")  ;; Strings
   ("" "")  ;; Protected Symbols
   ("" "")  ;; Integers
   ("" "")  ;; Reals
 )
 ".doc"
 nil
)

Grrr,

I just quickly hardcoded color values like so:

(lm:lispstyler
   file
   '(("<pre>" "</pre>")
     ;; Container
     ("<font color=\"black\">" "</font>")
     ;; Quotes/Dots
     ("<font color=\"red\">" "</font>")
     ;; Brackets
     ("<font color=\"gray\">" "</font>")
     ;; Multiline Comments
     ("<font color=\"gray\">" "</font>")
     ;; Single Comments
     ("<font color=\"DarkOrchid\">" "</font>")
     ;; Strings
     ("<font color=\"blue\">" "</font>")
     ;; Protected Symbols
     ("<font color=\"green\">" "</font>")
     ;; Integers
     ("<font color=\"darkgreen\">" "</font>")
     ;; Reals
    )
   ".html"
   t
 )

Then copy paste to Word 2016 :)

Thanks a lot Ronjonp. That did the trick for me ! And thanks a lot to Lee Mac too for his formatting programm : quite a useful (and impressive) piece of LISP !

Regards,

Jacques

Thanks a lot Ronjonp. That did the trick for me ! And thanks a lot to Lee Mac too for his formatting programm : quite a useful (and impressive) piece of LISP !

Regards,

Jacques

You might read HERE too .. the way I approached this is probably not the best way to go about it.:oops:

I'm relieved to have a functionnal solution though. I will study your link and others but for the moment I'm quite happy !

Regards,

Jacques

Thanks Ron, now I managed to replicate the result you got - the code inside the .html output file is colored and tabbed and when I copy it into word it appears the same way.

Only the row numbering is missing - can you see it inside your .html output file or thats just an option of MS word?