Dimension Line Full

ChristopherM

Hi

Does anyone know where the setting to make the Dimension line full as the picture on the left left side. The picture on the right will not turn into a full line just half.

Thanks for the help

CM

full line.jpg

When dimensioning a full circle most users will default to the Diameter option (preferred). When dimensioning an arc the Radius option is used. If you really need to dimension the diameter of a circle as you have shown in the image on the left above use the Linear option.

Example:

DimCircle.jpg

The dimensioning are done exactly the same way on both images.

Clicking Dimensions on the Annotation bar. Then clicking on the Circle ring. Then click again to adjust the text placement. I have NOT used Linear on the image to the left.

Done the same on the right image but the result is different, though the steps are the same. Its a different file so perhaps something with the file template option...?

I already went through the Dimension Style Manager and made sure they look the same to get the same result but not working. I am thinking the option is somewhere else...?

CM

It's this right here in the dimension style editor, see the red rectangle.

Dimension styles live in the drawing like any other block, so one drawing can be set different than another.

dims.jpg

The above will effect radius as well, so now you will always have a dim line from the center to the circle for every radius, there is only one arrowhead at the circle though, for radius.

You can set the effect to only apply to Diameter in the Dimstyle. Just select New, in the "Start With:" Select the Dimstyle you want to use if more than one, then under "Use for:" select Diameter dimensions.

You can set the effect to only apply to Diameter in the Dimstyle. Just select New, in the "Start With:" Select the Dimstyle you want to use if more than one, then under "Use for:" select Diameter dimensions.
Good catch. I've always gone with the default dims configuration so I didn't even think of "Use for". However, I can't think of a dimension this effects other than dia and rad, are there others? If so, I have had the good luck of never having run across an example.:notworthy:

EDIT: Doesn't this mean one has to switch styles for diameters. Here I am asking questions I could readily answer by trying it, but I have not, yet.:oops:

It works when the Parent Dimstyle is used.

It's not just used for this particular need, I was just pointing out that this can be applied to just the Diameter in the Dimstyle.

It works when the Parent Dimstyle is used.

It's not just used for this particular need, I was just pointing out that this can be applied to just the Diameter in the Dimstyle.

OK thx. got it.