Dynamic Block Array for Fastener

guitarguy1685

I'm trying to create a Dynamic Block for a Hilti KH-EZ concrete screw. I wanted to use a stretch parameter and chain an array parameter to create the threads as I change the lengths.

The lengths for 1/4" screw start at 1-5/8" and goes to 4". I'm schematically showing the threads because I can't find any information about them. I just know the pitch is quite big. I started with a pitch for 1/4". But because the length starts at 1-5/8' when I get to 3, 3.5 or 4" the array doesn't complete. Is there a way around this? See my attached block below so you can see what I'm trying to describe.

Hilti_Test.dwg

Its purely because the array distance isn't a division of the total length required. the difference between the two is shown as that gap you are getting.

I have played a little with it using constraints to try and get the end to stretch to fill the gap, but it requires a full redesign to accomplish.

If exact accuracy is not required, I would set the length increments to match the array increments and set the lengths to be as close as possible to the desired lengths.

I cant attach yet, but its an easy fix in the length properties palette.

I figured it was something to do with non uniform increments. I also tried constraints earlier but couldn't get it to work.

When using odd sizes like that you can't combine it with array, an array needs fixed values to work with, you need to rethink the design of how it works, either adjust the threads to match the array distance or use different parameters. Here's an alternative that uses a lookup, but then this method doesn't like working with a stretch parameter driving it.

Hilti_Test (1).dwg

• 1 month later...