• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• basty

• BIGAL

• scj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doing it in 3D create one ridge, extrude it then use a circular array. Union all the ridges. BTW...isn't that the spacer between the two rails you are pointing at?

This is what I came up with on my second try. I used a radius of 5.96831. The extruded profile had a width of .375 and a height of .135. The number of items in my polar array was 100. It is not perfect however as there is a tapered overlap of 0.0158 at the inside circumference of the spacer. But....once the array is exploded (since it is a block) I could simply union all 100 objects and the overlap would disappear.

3D Oil Ring Spacer.jpg

Doing it in 3D create one ridge, extrude it then use a circular array. Union all the ridges. BTW...isn't that the spacer between the two rails you are pointing at?

Yes it is.

This is what I came up with on my second try. I used a radius of 5.96831. The extruded profile had a width of .375 and a height of .135. The number of items in my polar array was 100.

[ATTACH]62678[/ATTACH]

I don't understand. Please tell me step-by-step.

First you have to create your profile. Have you done that? Here is what my profile progression looked like. All three profiles are comprised of polylines. The last profile is a single continuous polyline.

Oilringprofile.JPG

What do you have for dimensional data? What is the ring O.D. and I.D.? What is the height of the spacer? How many ridges are there? What is the material thickness?

After you have created your profile extrude it such that it extends beyond both the O.D. and I.D. of the ring (which you should have drawn already). In the image below the green, yellow and white lines will be extruded so they extend through the profile. The extruded lines will become surfaces. These surfaces can be used to trim our extruded profile. For this you need to use the SLICE command with the Surface option.

My extruded profile is circled in red. See how in extends beyond both the green and yellow arcs?

Extrude and slice.jpg

A close up of the extruded profile and lines to be used to slice it. The lines on the side will give it the required taper. Note: First slice the object with the extruded arcs.

Extruded lines for Slicing.jpg

Once you have the extruded profile in the shape it needs to be use the ARRAY command with the Polar option to create a full spacer ring.

Lastly, here is a closeup view of a portion of the spacer.

3D spacer closeup.jpg

Good luck with your oil ring spacer. Have fun and post an image of the finished 3D model when you are done.

I am sure Remark will add more detail, you draw your profile say in same plane as the two circles add a line from outer circle to centre, place your profile at this intersection point, move it inwards a bit. Using rotate3D you rotate the profile 90degrees using say the Y option and 90. (Profile is on left side) type -vpoint 1,1,1 and you should see your profile standing up, use extrude as posted by Remark extending past the outer circle. Follow the steps above.

It sounds like you should practice some of the basic commands extrude subtract union push/pull rotate3D and importantly setting UCS,s .

Sent from iPad so no pretty pictures.

Edited by BIGAL

What is a "ridge"?

Please explain with an image.

See the image in post #9. Those "bumps" are what I am referring to as ridges. This is not my field of expertise so I am not aware of the correct terminology.

Extrude the profile using the Extrude command. It has to be extruded enough such that it will extend beyond both the O.D. and I.D. of the ring. To achieve this move the profile slightly outside of the O.D. then extrude inward.

The only thing I can do is to draw the profile. Your explanation on 3D operation is hard to understand. So, please re-explain it step-by-step like:

step 1: ...

step 2: ...

step 3: ...

and so on.

How about the ID is 10 and the OD is 12, the amount of profile is 5.

The only thing I can do is to draw the profile. Your explanation on 3D operation is hard to understand. So, please re-explain it step-by-step like:

step 1: ...

step 2: ...

step 3: ...

and so on.

How about the ID is 10 and the OD is 12, the amount of profile is 5.

The two images in post #8 visually show what I have been talking about.

You have to locate your profile relative to the O.D. of the spacer then extrude it before it can be trimmed. Do you at least know how to do that?

Edited by ReMark

"How about the ID is 10 and the OD is 12, the amount of profile is 5."

Are these metric or imperial dimensions? Either way they don't seem right. It's like you are guessing. How many ridges total?

Profile located relative to O.D. of spacer. Profile is magenta colored. The O.D. is color green; I.D. is color yellow. The red line is used as a reference point and is drawn from the center of the circles through a quadrant point and then beyond it by a distance of 0.2.

3Dspacer1.JPG

Profile is extruded such that it extends beyond the I.D. For reference the distance between the O.D. and I.D. is 0.2 and I extruded the profile an additional 0.2 for an overall length of 0.6.

3dspacer2.JPG