Can someone explain what happening in the backstage when switching layouts?

samifox

I'm using an i7 based computer as you previously referenced in another post. You even said the configurations were similar. Want to try again?

i meant hardwere are quite the same.

but since i cant see hardwere overload my focus is only at the apploication level

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samifox

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

You did not answer my question about CIV3D proxy objects, are you running Civ3d ?

Did you check CONFIG, SYSTEM, Graphics Performance and tick on hardware acceleration.

i need to download the trial of civil 3d and see. im using vanilla 2018

i meant hardwere are quite the same.

but since i cant see hardwere overload my focus is only at the apploication level

I disagree. Perhaps it is the difference in the amount of RAM between our two systems. 8GB (you) vs. 12GB (me).

It seems to be 1 of 2 things either the graphics card is slow or the RAM is slow. More RAM will not fix this but faster RAM will. Download a program called SPECCY and run it to analyze your system it will give you the speed your RAM is running at. I am currently running 12GB of RAM at about 650Mhz. I haven't download your drawing yet but I have drawings with 8 to 10 layouts and have not experienced any performance issues. I agree with ReMark this is acting like a hardware issue and not a software issue.

Ok I just opened your drawing and like everybody else had not issues switching between layouts. The only thing it could be is a hardware issue or a configuration related to hardware.

Although my pc is very old i have tried to open your dwg. i have the same issue as you with that dwg. It might be a RAM issue as changing layouts uses ALL my ram 8Gb.

It seems to be 1 of 2 things either the graphics card is slow or the RAM is slow. More RAM will not fix this but faster RAM will. Download a program called SPECCY and run it to analyze your system it will give you the speed your RAM is running at. I am currently running 12GB of RAM at about 650Mhz. I haven't download your drawing yet but I have drawings with 8 to 10 layouts and have not experienced any performance issues. I agree with ReMark this is acting like a hardware issue and not a software issue.

hi

here is the SPECCY analyzation

AFAIK those are very hight performence hardwere....buy again i might be wrong

You're reliance on specs is admirable but misplaced. If you really want to test your CAD system then this is what you should be using....

"The Cadalyst Systems Benchmark 2015 (C2015 v5.5b) can be used to test and compare the performance of systems running AutoCAD v2000–2018."

You're reliance on specs is admirable but misplaced. If you really want to test your CAD system then this is what you should be using....

"The Cadalyst Systems Benchmark 2015 (C2015 v5.5b) can be used to test and compare the performance of systems running AutoCAD v2000–2018."

Thankx . ill test it and post the results

Your spec show that your running 8GB RAM on a single channel. I suspect your running into a bottle neck with your RAM. With 8GB RAM at almost 1200Mhz this should be whizzingly fast but all that data has to line up to get through the door. Think about this, every time you switch layouts the system has to redraw everything on the screen. All that data is saved in RAM so when you go to a new layout your memory has to recall that data and send it through. Now if you had 4GB on 2 channels your system would have more doors to send the data through and be quicker. I would suggest looking into another stick of 8GB RAM identical to the one in your system then you would have 2 channels of RAM to send the data through. I buy from Newegg but there are other online venders you can buy from.

Hi. All of those that tried my dwg didn't mention what their layout cash settings . Option | system | layout.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk

Your spec show that your running 8GB RAM on a single channel. I suspect your running into a bottle neck with your RAM. With 8GB RAM at almost 1200Mhz this should be whizzingly fast but all that data has to line up to get through the door. Think about this, every time you switch layouts the system has to redraw everything on the screen. All that data is saved in RAM so when you go to a new layout your memory has to recall that data and send it through. Now if you had 4GB on 2 channels your system would have more doors to send the data through and be quicker. I would suggest looking into another stick of 8GB RAM identical to the one in your system then you would have 2 channels of RAM to send the data through. I buy from Newegg but there are other online venders you can buy from.
I've tested the same dwg on few pc and the performance we're worst. They all use different ram management I guess. This issue is a mystery so far

Hi. All of those that tried my dwg didn't mention what their layout cash settings . Option | system | layout.

Model tab and ALL layouts. I've never changed this setting. How's them apples?

I've tested the same dwg on few pc and the performance we're worst. They all use different ram management I guess. This issue is a mystery so far

Then the only thing I can think of is the drawing you posted is missing some component maybe a xref or a block. Funny thing is I don't remember the system prompting me about anything missing. If the problem goes from computer to computer then it has to the file.

Ski_Me you may be onto something I reopened the dwg and as downloaded is missing xrefs. Samifox used the download version without xrefs and works perfectly, this suggest a Xref is causing the problem.

Run purge overkill audit anything you can find on your xrefs.

I loaded the 1st xref changed layout and my pc just ground to a halt so that is where the problem is. Autocad is consuming 49% of CPU.

Samifox pretty sure found problem you need to look at your document management procedures, open the XREF 6403-prisot dwg it loads all the other xrefs there is just so much stuff in these xrefs, the 6403-prisot dwg is huge. I think you need to look at how your linking your xrefs just link at the top level.

I have a dwg very similar 25Mb in size 12 Roads 88 layouts all happens virtually instantly, and we have no xrefs. Plan is in model, long, cross sections live only in one layout, for each section, I use CIV3d with a 3rd part civil. I don't use viewports to show road cross longs rather save each section in a layout with relevant plan.

You have JUNK in your xrefs big X through stuff every thing counts.

You need some one independant to have a good look at the way you are making the dwgs.

I think your xrefing every xref back into it. As I say we hardly use xrefs but again I think you need to look at your XREFs xrefing each other. This looping would explain the time lag.