How to convert to a BREP solid?

BenGoble

Im running a highly complex file and its asking me to convert some solids to a BREP solids, how do you do this and what exactly is a BREP solid?

Thanks

Hit F1 and search for it

Ive never heard of such a thing and my 2002 index has no such thing

PS dont post the same thing in multiple forums, most mods looks down on this...

Hi...i only learnt this the other day, brep has something to do with manipulating solids. I you cant boolean them and get a brep message, type brep in the command line, select the solids as asked, this then removes a history of the solid so you can then carry on with union, subtract etc.

I used the help and it explained it reasonably well. Hope this helps..Amanda...

BenGoble

Please no multiple posting! Ask your questions only once -be sure that people searching for interesting questions will find them.

The copy of this request has ben deleted.

Had an ideer today

How bout a boolean, revolution, extrusion, or primitive

Makes sort of sense because those are the 4 main types of solid in AutoCAD

Can you post screenshots or even better a sample of the drawing thats giving you the trouble?

You said it was very complex and this site wont let you post overly large files, so just copy over a small detail of the drawing that encompases the error

Heres a qucik image of how I'd like to use these perforated metal sheets, but evidently the form is quite complex I'v had to cut one sheet into a third to get it under the file limit! It also slows the pc down inevitably but if Brep could cahnge that I don't know, I'll have a look in the help files.

Perforated Metal Sheet.dwg

cafe5.jpg

• 2 years later...

i dont think brep will help you in this case but i could be wrong. Your best bet may be to turn that layer off and have another layer that represents it for modeling purposes, then switch layers after you orient your view but before a render. You can also turn down VIEWRES and FACETRES while you are modeling then back up before a render. these will affect the "roundness" of your holes.

To expand on Matt's Layer's idea. You could use copy face to create a surface region representing the solid which would be much easier on the recsourses.

cp_face.jpg

KC