Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• steven-g

• halam

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at it.

Great tool, especially if you want to share and comunicate some 3D / 2D DWG.

My finding sofar..

- no xref display

- no block explode

- no coloring 3D parts

what is nice

- 3D sections. If you make the sections and save them, you will have them in AutoCAD as well. Wow!

- display /

- apply materials

- light

- DWG..

2018-01-22_23-23-11.jpg

2018-01-22_23-22-33.jpg

2018-01-22_23-13-35.jpg

Free is good for this one. Did two tests on skp (combine powers of dwg, skp)

Works decent for smaller models, takes quite a while to convert bigger ones.

2018-01-22_23-41-01.jpg

The UI is not as easy as SU, imho, but it does seem simple enough. Yes there are some tools I'd like to see added. All in all it is a good 1st step hopefully with improvements to come.

How would we go about getting a dedicated Bricscad section here on CADTutor, they do have an excellent product forum, but topics do come up here on CADTutor quite regularly.

So what is Bricsys really trying to do here? Given how long SketchUp has been around and the vast library of content available what's in it for them? Is this just another case of "look what we have that AutoCAD doesn't"?

I think they are trying to offer an alternative, but keeping the familiar dwg file format that many people are used to, and without having to use any number of different programs that many people are faced with. So you can start with a simple "beer mat design" and keep your same drawing files as the project grows through the development stages to full BIM and manufacturing details.

That and Trimble has decided to stop development on the desktop version of SketchUp Make and move to a web based SketchUp Free. Pro is now the only option for a desktop version. Of course one can continue to run the last version of Make as long as they want or until Apple and MS make changes to their EVER changing OSes and or graphic drivers and they stop working.

The SU fanbois (and girls) will argue ad nauseam that NO company can provide a free service and continue (looking at Fusion 360, free for hobbyists and startups, and now at Bricsys) making a profit.

I mean free products like Blender died off years ago with little to no development at all.

I still hope Trimble runs SU into the ground and AutoDesk buys it or they finally come out with their own version. FormIt was not it btw.

Edit: Competition is ALWAYS good for the end user.

Edited by f700es

A friend of mine who's an architect did not like the move to web-only with SU. He has a 4 year old son and he doesn't like the idea of internet being fully open to his boy as he's letting his son learn on what is probably the easiest and most intuitive software for young kids to get acquainted with models, shapes and forms. One wrong click on a browser could open a tab and more clicks could lead to things not needing to be seen by a child. Not only that, many low income families and other countries without necessary conditions for internet access really hinders child development. Passing around USB sticks is very common in other countries and cultures, and now that just got severed for one of the best tools to introduce kids to the world of CAD.

So the fact that this is a downloadable EXE is great news, for the two reasons mentioned: 1, no internet browser access which can lead to bad things, and 2, reopens the possibility of students to download this at school or a library and actually take home to tinker with. In all this does look like a great tool.

-TZ

And I bet Bricscad never thought of that :lol:. They have been holding student events here in Belgium I think it's a great way not just to advertise but get people to become familiar with the name.