How to Draw This Thing?

No we don't know, but if you draw the things that are shown in the diagram that are clearly dimensioned then there is enough information to work out where the other arc centers are. Just try it, and if you have any questions then use your eyes and reread all your other posts because the answers have been given many times over, by many people.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• basty

• ReMark

• Cad64

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are all the drawings basty has asked for help with taken from the same Solidworks manual?

I expect only basty could say. Google only coughs up a page at a time!

It only shows the lack of knowledge that is being displayed, because this exercise should be drawn purely by geometry. My earlier response shows what nonsense is the request for coordinates.

I realized I just needed to draw a circle at the .5 center, and a 1" at the left end point and use the intersection of those for the left arc.

Basty, the r1 center is given, the r.5 center is found by offsetting the 1" radius by .5, and offsetting a line that established the maximum arc condition, given as 1.375 overall, so divide that in half.

Edited by rkent

Personally, I think it is a retrograde step to merge all the threads. Now the thread is a jumble, and it all should have been in the Beginners forum, as the OP seems to be a complete novice.

How do you find the center of R1.000 and R.500?

To answer your question in context, it is better to start right at the beginning.

The basic geometric fact throughout this exercise, which has arcs tangential to each other, is that for arcs to be tangential, the tangent point and the centres of the two arcs are collinear. Also if an arc passes through a point, then the centre of the arc lies on a circle drawn centred on that point. And if an arc is tangential to a line or arc, then the centre of the arc lies on the line or arc offset by the value of the radius.

Bearing the above in mind, one must examine the diagram to see which order to draw the various segments. The obvious place to start is the central 1R arc, the centre is given by dimensions.

Then the 0.5r arc. It is tangential to the first arc and also is tangential to the Maximum Arc Condition lines. So offset these lines by 0.5 and offset the first 1R arc by 0.5. The intersection is the centre of the 0.5R arc.

Then the second 1R arc. This passes through a point on the inner flat, given by dimension, so draw a 1R circle on that point. It is also tangential to the 0.5R arc, so where the 1R circle, that has just been drawn, intersects with the 0.5R circle, that was drawn previously, is the centre of the second 1R arc.

Tidy up all unnecessary linework and there you are.

Spanner Head.PNG

To answer your question in context, it is better to start right at the beginning.

The basic geometric fact throughout this exercise, which has arcs tangential to each other, is that for arcs to be tangential, the tangent point and the centres of the two arcs are collinear. Also if an arc passes through a point, then the centre of the arc lies on a circle drawn centred on that point. And if an arc is tangential to a line or arc, then the centre of the arc lies on the line or arc offset by the value of the radius.

Bearing the above in mind, one must examine the diagram to see which order to draw the various segments. The obvious place to start is the central 1R arc, the centre is given by dimensions.

Then the 0.5r arc. It is tangential to the first arc and also is tangential to the Maximum Arc Condition lines. So offset these lines by 0.5 and offset the first 1R arc by 0.5. The intersection is the centre of the 0.5R arc.

Then the second 1R arc. This passes through a point on the inner flat, given by dimension, so draw a 1R circle on that point. It is also tangential to the 0.5R arc, so where the 1R circle, that has just been drawn, intersects with the 0.5R circle, that was drawn previously, is the centre of the second 1R arc.

Tidy up all unnecessary linework and there you are.

I can't read the drawing cause it's too complicated for me, there are too many circles. Can you explain it again but this time a bit slowdown would you? If you don't mind.

You have to give the OP points for being persistent (and thick-skinned). I'm taking bets even this results in more questions

It is tangential to the first arc and also is tangential to the Maximum Arc Condition lines. So offset these lines by 0.5 and offset the first 1R arc by 0.5. The intersection is the centre of the 0.5R arc.

Drawthis.jpg

I think too many people these days want the answers handed to them so they don't have to expend the time and effort to solve a problem on their own. And they are in such a rush that they don't usually bother to read anything that is more than two sentences in length. Give them a paragraph, no matter how well written, and their eyes start rolling into the back of their heads.

I think too many people these days want the answers handed to them so they don't have to expend the time and effort to solve a problem on their own. And they are in such a rush that they don't usually bother to read anything that is more than two sentences in length. Give them a paragraph, no matter how well written, and their eyes start rolling into the back of their heads.

I blame social media. And Satan. But mostly social media.

I have been following this thread for over a week with some amusement. The patience displayed by ReMark, Cad64, Eldon and others is very impressive. A review of the responses by the OP, coupled with my experience with Amazon's Alexa, has led me to the conclusion that basty is a bot as they would fail the the Turing test.;)