converting 3D poliline in 2D?

cat3appr

hi all

I've searched already online and I just found the command CONVERT, i applied it but my 3d polyline doesn't get converted in 2D..

any other suggestion?

basically i need to change the linetype into dashed, and it doesn't let me do it, i think it depends on the fact that it is a 3D polyline

please advice thank you!

I think that the command CONVERT is not appropriate, as it only converts polylines that are 2D to start with.

If you use the command Flatten, then the 3D polyline will have all vertices at zero elevation, but it is still a 3D polyline, which can only have a Continuous linetype.

So explode it and use Pedit to re-make the polyline as a 2D polyline, and then you can have any linetype that you want.

I think that the command CONVERT is not appropriate, as it only converts polylines that are 2D to start with.

If you use the command Flatten, then the 3D polyline will have all vertices at zero elevation, but it is still a 3D polyline, which can only have a Continuous linetype.

So explode it and use Pedit to re-make the polyline as a 2D polyline, and then you can have any linetype that you want.

thanks! i have exploded it but then i don't succeed to convert it into a polyline. When I do pedit, and select all the pieces, it starts to get me various options but i never get to an end. i then need to esc, and that's it, i still have

the exploded opject

thanks! i have exploded it but then i don't succeed to convert it into a polyline. When I do pedit, and select all the pieces, it starts to get me various options but i never get to an end. i then need to esc, and that's it, i still have

the exploded opject

Zero object joined... it doesn't like to join those small exploded polylines..

When I use Pedit, I first of all pick one line, turn that into a polyline and then use the Option Join, and then when it says select objects, I type "all". As long as your polyline segments do not join onto anything else, then the polyline is formed.

Does the original polyline only consist of straight lines? and did you use the command Flatten?

When I use Pedit, I first of all pick one line, turn that into a polyline and then use the Option Join, and then when it says select objects, I type "all". As long as your polyline segments do not join onto anything else, then the polyline is formed.

Does the original polyline only consist of straight lines? and did you use the command Flatten?

no it doesn't work... i only converted the first segment, then he doesn't want to join the others... better if you try in the actual file attached....

thans!

issue line.dwg

Thank you for responding so quickly and posting the drawing.

I don't know what I am doing different to you, but using my system, I managed to make it all one 2D polyline.

First of all I exploded it (it was already at zero elevation). Then starting Pedit, I chose one segment and turned that into a polyline. I continued with the option Join, and typed "all" when asked to choose objects. It joined up 84 segments. I turned on the linetype generation, and made the attached drawing file. I changed the layer name to Red, so that I was not confused (easy for me to do!!)

original issues into 2D polyline.dwg

Thank you for responding so quickly and posting the drawing.

I don't know what I am doing different to you, but using my system, I managed to make it all one 2D polyline.

First of all I exploded it (it was already at zero elevation). Then starting Pedit, I chose one segment and turned that into a polyline. I continued with the option Join, and typed "all" when asked to choose objects. It joined up 84 segments. I turned on the linetype generation, and made the attached drawing file. I changed the layer name to Red, so that I was not confused (easy for me to do!!)

thanks a lot eldon, it 's perfect :) yep i got stuck there at the joinin thing .

appreciated!!