Autocad 2015 and tabs

Hello,

I'm having an hard time with my open DWGs in CAD 2015 and the way that the tabs are organized: sometimes I simply can't find my open DWG!

Say that i have several DWGs open, i just can't find it, all the screen top space is taken by tabs and I noticed that some DWGs get hidden in the corner tabs...

Is there a way, a lisp, to tell CAD the position of the tabs in terms of priority, for exaple I want the latest open one always on the left etc etc... also, is it possible to give a more glancing color on the working tab? something bright yellow rather than white?

Depending on the poster's workflow, Sheet Set Manager may be an option. Seems to me the real issue is too many DWG's open at once. Shuffling them to one side still leaves you sifting through the same mess when you need that "other" open file. My $0.02 anyways.

-TZ

Out of curiosity, why do you have so many DWG files open at once? Is this necessary in your workflow?

yes it vital for me to have many DWG opened. This is also slowing down CAD drastically as it sucks lots of RAM but I need to keep the open, cycle through them really often.

Any other suggestion on how to make it better is welcome :)

CTRL+TAB will cycle through open drawings in the order, left to right, they are shown on the tabs.

CTRL+SHIFT+TAB will cycle through the open tabs in reverse (right to left) order.

The double down caret symbol on the far right of the tabs (when the tab bar is full) is a drop-down from which you can select any tab.

LCJT6ix.png

HTH.

Drawing Tabs can be handy, but I avoid anything the uses screen space I added the Ribbon Control Element "Switch Windows" to my "Quick Access Toolbar" instead as it provides a drop-down of all open drawings with their paths displayed to allow selection of whichever one you want current. By default it's found on the View - Interface panel.

yes it vital for me to have many DWG opened. This is also slowing down CAD drastically as it sucks lots of RAM but I need to keep the open, cycle through them really often.

Any other suggestion on how to make it better is welcome :)

What is the reason for so many drawings open? As you mentioned, having too many files open does affect performance. Perhaps the answer is simply to streamline your workflow and only open the drawings that you really need. Others can be opened and closed as necessary.

What is the reason for so many drawings open? As you mentioned, having too many files open does affect performance. Perhaps the answer is simply to streamline your workflow and only open the drawings that you really need. Others can be opened and closed as necessary.

Besides the performance boost this automatically arranges all the previously opened drawings organized starting the latest on opened on top the way cat3appr wants. With the Application Menu Number of recently-used files set to 50 you can quickly scroll through to open them.

yes it vital for me to have many DWG opened. This is also slowing down CAD drastically as it sucks lots of RAM

Is it not possible to xref several dwgs into one? If you make minor edits in them, you can use the edit in place option.

Are you stealing stuff from other dwgs, just demand open then close use palettes for the dwgs or think seriously about block libraries.

lee-mac has steal.lsp that allows you get stuff from a dwg without opening.

How about turning on the Quick View Drawings option, in the Application Status Bar menu, in the lower right hand corner of your screen?

How about turning on the Quick View Drawings option, in the Application Status Bar menu, in the lower right hand corner of your screen?

In newer versions QVD opens Quick View Drawings and QVL opens Quick View Layouts, but they're no longer on the Status Bar. Guess they figured Drawing Tabs was good enough.

You can also hover over the icon in the Windows Taskbar to see and select any open drawing and you can do the same for layout tabs so it's probably not really that big a deal.