AutoCAD Will Not Work With LibreCalc - It Insist on Excel

Bill Tillman

Had the chance to use an Excel spread sheet with a table full of data in it. But since I'm using LibreOffice and don't have Excel installed, AutoCAD kicks back an error saying no workie. So even if I save the file in *.xlsx format, AutoCAD will not work with it without out Excel being installed on the computer??? I thought it was more portable than that.

Edited by Bill Tillman

Have you looked at say modifying something like getexcel.lsp to work with your libreoffice

(setq myXL(vlax-get-or-create-object "Excel.Application")) 
libreoffice equivalent ???

Edited by BIGAL

That would be very cool, but this client uses LT and that means no lisp allowed. Oh the tragedies of life on a budget.

Have you thought about going the other way Excel has VBA write a script, pretty sure can cut and paste to LT a "Script" please let me know if thats incorrect.

But, he doesn't have Excel. I have yet to see anyone figure out a way to use Calc files with AutoCAD. Draw is similar to Visio and saves as .dwg, anyway to use the data in Draw then to AutoCAD?

I'll move this to the AutoCAD LT forum, since that will limit the use of programing.

Install the free trial of Microsoft Office 365, and run with it. Just remember to cancel before they take money out of your card.

You'll be able to open the .xlsx file in Excel and then save it, tieing it to the right program.

Starting again.

Does librecalc have macro ability ?

Had a quick look and yes no idea of what language.

Bill please advise copy and paste a column to LT. Steven-g ?

Looks to me as though Bill is trying to use a datalink and it does look as though that is setup to just work via excel and has to have excel installed, Autocad doesn't open xlsx files by itself,in the background it uses the sources inside excel to do that, and LT doesn't have a method to work with external files (no VBA or Lisp). The only way I could think of to use that would be paste from Librecalc as an OLE object basically just a pretty picture, there would be no way to interact with it. I had posted an answer some time last year about working with OpenOffice xls files in Autocad but I'm afraid that probably only worked because I still have Excel installed and it is that which made the link to an XLS file possible

Going the other way is getting data out, and that would require the use of attributes and ATTEXT which will create a text or csv file and that should be readable by Librecalc

@Bill what exactly are you trying to achieve, all is not lost just yet, BIGAL is onto something, I would imagine that Librecalc can use some form of programming or even just the basic concatenation of cells, so you might be able to create script files and copy paste that into Autocad to create a table or text items that can be linked with the field options, but this is just guesswork on my part (it's something I would be exploring about now to seeif it was possible).