Creating surfaces from survey points

paulgomes

I am having a problem with my survey data. the points stay a a zero elevation when I import them in Autocad civil 3D

the contours take the assigned elevations from the txt file which I can import.

Is there some way I can correct my surface.

The triangles form on the points and not on the contours.

how can I fix this error

any help will be appreciated

thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you create manual random points over your actual points, which are at zero, from a surface you would have created with the contours that are at the assigned elevation? you would then have your points, if there are not too much, at a quite accurate elevation if you set you contours at lets say minor 0.1 and major 0.5.

Next time just continue in the thread already started. :wink:

How exactly are you going about importing the points? Please outline for us the method that got you from point a to point b.

The points are imported from your point file correct? And your point format was set correctly on import?

The contours are a result of your surface correct? Or are they already in your .dwg as either contours, lines/arcs, or polylines?

You can import points into C3D in two ways either direct as import pts into a surface model then you do not get "points" or

Import points into a points group then create a surface model from that group you get 3d points then and a surface.

The majority of our projects are survey data hence 3d points and lines but some we get from our Lidar data and as it can be thousands of points we just make surfaces no points.

Either way the contours are created from the surface triangles not the points.

• 10 months later...

Hello, I am happy to have found this site and need some help with setting up a prototype drawing,importing survey points,groups and layers.Let me give you some background information...

I am a surveyor who is responsible for producing 3d surface models,2d drawings and general survey data to support engineering design.I use LDD 2008 to process the above. We collect field data both conventionally using TDS and with Trimble GPS. In TGO I created a feature code library which segregates by description,layer and linetype or symbol.The gps collected survey data is processed through the feature code library.We then create a DXF file from TGO, which carries the linework, and export to an LDD drawing.We also export an ASCI2 file containing the points.Then I manually create point groups by description.Then I isolate a layer and insert points by particular point group into the drawing.This is a very laborious method which is time consuming.

The questions:

Is there a more streamlined way to import survey data which automatically filters points by point group and layer?

Does LDD 2008 have the ability to transform/scale survey grid data to ground data?

Can you recommend another method to accomplish what we are trying to do?

Thank you for your help, Paul

Hello, I am happy to have found this site and need some help with setting up a prototype drawing,importing survey points,groups and layers.Let me give you some background information...

I am a surveyor who is responsible for producing 3d surface models,2d drawings and general survey data to support engineering design.I use LDD 2008 to process the above. We collect field data both conventionally using TDS and with Trimble GPS. In TGO I created a feature code library which segregates by description,layer and linetype or symbol.The gps collected survey data is processed through the feature code library.We then create a DXF file from TGO, which carries the linework, and export to an LDD drawing.We also export an ASCI2 file containing the points.Then I manually create point groups by description.Then I isolate a layer and insert points by particular point group into the drawing.This is a very laborious method which is time consuming.

The questions:

Is there a more streamlined way to import survey data which automatically filters points by point group and layer?

Does LDD 2008 have the ability to transform/scale survey grid data to ground data?

Can you recommend another method to accomplish what we are trying to do?

Thank you for your help, Paul

If u had any dwg pls post it here because i am new to civil 3d

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of questions is your DXF input just flat 2D ?

If so then why not just import "ALL" the points as ptnum, x,y,z, code into a group. The important thing here is code. Not sure what a asci2 is but the software and instruments should be able to output the correct xyz code file.

You only need to import ALL points in one go, when creating a surface model you use the exclude option to remove points that are non contourable. Our surveyors have coded the points such that some objects have choice of two codes for cont and non cont.

It takes a little while to add the exclude list but you only do it once! Try cutting and pasting.

The insertion of breaklines again can probably be done via a lisp or script to turn on only the correct breakline layers, if the layer does not exist often the script will still continue to next line. Else start with a template with all survey code layers and tehn purge them out. (our template 545 layers)

Hope this helps

A couple of questions is your DXF input just flat 2D ?

If so then why not just import "ALL" the points as ptnum, x,y,z, code into a group. The important thing here is code. Not sure what a asci2 is but the software and instruments should be able to output the correct xyz code file.

You only need to import ALL points in one go, when creating a surface model you use the exclude option to remove points that are non contourable. Our surveyors have coded the points such that some objects have choice of two codes for cont and non cont.

It takes a little while to add the exclude list but you only do it once! Try cutting and pasting.

The insertion of breaklines again can probably be done via a lisp or script to turn on only the correct breakline layers, if the layer does not exist often the script will still continue to next line. Else start with a template with all survey code layers and tehn purge them out. (our template 545 layers)

Hope this helps

Thanks BIGAL...DXF is a 3d...thank you for your advice....what part of Australia are you from? I understand there is a lot of work for surveyors? Building roads? Civil projects? rlshound

• 10 years later...

hello everyone,

i am quite new to this can anyone help,i have done a survey saved as dxf ,opened file in drawing and want to create a grading to show fill area make up for

for landscaping . i have managed numerous times to create feature line and show grading but the grading and the drawing seem to exist as serparate entities 

as the elevation heights do not correspond . also several videos i have seen suggest changing the grading style at some point but i do not seem to be able to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help