Layers

liverpool

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me please.

I have 2 cad drawings one of which I wish to insert into the other. I have created a new layer in drawing 1 into which drawing 2 will be inserted so this enables me to turn on and off drawing 2. However when I insert drawing 2 all the layers go into drawing 1 but the layer colours change from there original designated layer colour. How do I import the plan to enable me to create a layer in drawing 1 which I can turn on and off drawing 2 but still keep the same layer colours as it was. Is it the new layer colour in drawing 1 affecting it or how does it work?

Many thanks.

Hi Eldon

Many Thanks for your reply. Yes x-ref would probably work but I wanted to import drawing 2 into drawing 1 and keep all the layer colours as they are and yet by having a drawing 2 layer in drawing 1be able to turn on and off the whole drawingjust using this layer but yet keep the original colours of each layer. Is there an easy way of am I doing it incorrectly?

When I x-ref a drawing into another, I always make a new layer and make that current when I do the x-reffing. All the layers of the x-reffed drawing are prefixed with the drawing name, so that although you have similar names in the original drawings, all layers are unique (except layer 0). By freezing that new layer, the x-reffed drawing is turned off (except layer 0). So do not draw on layer 0 otherwise you can have problems.

Add a prefix like drawing1 to every layer name in drawing1.

Then when you insert it into drawing2 the layers will be unique and none of the layer properties will change.