Distance/Measuring Help

ICS Vortex

I agree with SLW210. 80mm-61mm=19mm Hence a straight line. I think you should be measuring to a higher precision for example XX.XXmm. I work with diagonals all the time and can often be a couple millimeters out over 5,000mm or more. An accuracy of 2/5,000 and this is acceptable for our site measures. As you are only working to 10’s of millimeters. A couple of decimal places will certainly help you. Notice Rkent's dimensions are to three decimal places. I know this may be difficult to measure but try. I would also check the angles using the “cosine rule” and or the “law of sines”. Remember the angles of a triangle must add up to 180°. Failing measuring Bigal and Remark have good real world solutions. May be a silly question but can you not just give the bracket to the steel fabricator and ask them to replicate it?

I have done hundreds of similar items using just a caliper and steel rule and in some cases just a tape measure with no problems. If the holes are threaded, you can use bolts or set screws to help, for smooth holes they make pin gage sets.

Pretty simple to find the center of same size holes, put the caliper inside one hole and zero the caliper on the hole diameter, then measure with the caliper to outside/outside of hole for the center distance.

Take some real photos of the objects the actual parts etc be aware of image size to be posted.

Like Remark which holes were wrong all of them ? I drew it up and the 19 was not 19mm rather 20mm something,

Did you check what they made ?

If it is all tapped holes can you put pointed bolt in non bracket holes with some black ink on point, pen etc, use stiff cardboard etc.

What method did the shop use to create the bracket they made for you the first time around?

ReMark,

They load the .DXF file into a water jet and cut it out.

BIGAL,

I will get some pictures of what doesn't line up the next time that I go down to the garage.

SLW210,

I was just doing (what I thought to be) center to center with a digital caliper. I'm by no means inclined in doing this type of thing, I'm a small engine mechanic for a living, just thought I may take a try on replicating this mount for a few people that I know need it.

AdamW,

The caliper that I was using only had two decimal places, so that would be the most that I would be able to do. From center to center, from what I measured at least, all distances seemed to be very close to whole millimeters apart. Drawing out a triangle on the original mount and doing some triangle math was how I was able to figure out some of the measurements that I did.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ICS Vortex

• BIGAL

• SLW210

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the bracket from please advise if a car part chances are some one will have one, for $30 they will send it to you. The WORLD WIDE WEB you can find just about anything found a gasket for a 1985 Civilian brand new in box about $30 compare one quote a full kit $800 for the one gasket throw away the rest.

Back to a prior post measure hole size measure from edge of hole to edge of hole plus hole diameter. This is c/l - c/l.

Have you tried measuring the holes again and rechecking the measurements on them?

You can also measure inside/inside and outside/outside, add measurements together and divide by 2 for center/center of any 2 holes.

One thing, that does not appear to have been done, is to print out your AutoCAD drawing at full size, and see if it fits.

One thing, that does not appear to have been done, is to print out your AutoCAD drawing at full size, and see if it fits.

Wow, for this specific application, that would probably work very well....and be super inexpensive haha.....definitely a lot cheaper and easier than spending $30 to have it cut out once and hope it's exactly perfect. I will DEFINITELY do that.....Sometimes common sense just blows right over my head.

What is the bracket from please advise if a car part chances are some one will have one, for $30 they will send it to you. The WORLD WIDE WEB you can find just about anything found a gasket for a 1985 Civilian brand new in box about $30 compare one quote a full kit $800 for the one gasket throw away the rest.

Back to a prior post measure hole size measure from edge of hole to edge of hole plus hole diameter. This is c/l - c/l.

It's nothing for a car haha, actually for a 1986 Honda ATC 350X 3 wheeler. This particular part is very hard to find. I paid $80 for the actual one I have. I know a few others who would want to have it cut out and remade, so that's why I was attempting it.

I'd have started by scanning it to PDF from our copy machine and importing it to AutoCAD at 1:1, then trace border, place circles, and detach PDF.