AutoCad 2D to Rhino 3D for marine

IoSa

Hi,

I would like some info in how to create the hull of a vessel (catamaran preferably) into a 3D model in Rhino by just having the 2D lines plan of the Autocad file.

I had a look in this forum but didnt find anything to help me. I got some info from a small tutorial that explained the Crv2View command but thats all.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in Advance

Iosa

By "2D lines plan", do you mean the Top, Front, and Side views, or the geometry of each station. If it's the latter, it is just a matter of "Lofting" a surface through those cross sections.

If you have only the views, the chore is a bit more involved. Not neccessarily difficult, especially hard-chine, but more decisions are required.

Is it possible to post the DWG file?

• 3 weeks later...

I mean that i have top, side and front view only. I heard that to loft the lines works but is not appropriate for vessels. A better way is by curve network.

Due to the shape and that is a catamaran i cannot figure out and cannot find any tutorials on how to start.

I have attached the DWG file. If you can help it would be appriciated.

Thanks

IoSa

PegasusLines2.dwg

The first step I would take, in either the DWG file or after a transfer to Rhino, would be to position all of the contour lines at there proper elevation (see attached file).

Unfortunately, it seems that the set of lines is incomplete - though that may be a translation to 2004 issue or a documentation technique of which I'm not familiar.

The next step (ideally with a complete set of lines) is to use "Curve Network" on the best two sets of contours or to generate the stations along the beam for lofting. I'd prefer the latter. It is more work but there is more control over the final surfaces.

PegasusLines2Elevation.dwg

The version i am using is autocad 2007 and there might be some problems if you open it with 2004.

I saw the DWG file and i have done the same for all the lines at the right position in Rhino. The next step is to create the surfaces which like you said can be done be lofting of curve network. Since I am required to create the surface in Rhino and then to import into Maxsurf for further analysis, the surfaces must have continuation so that they can be joined afterwards in Maxurf.

When i try with curve network, i manage to do the middle part which is easy (kind of a parallel body) and then when i move towards the bow it becomes more complicated which i dont know whether i should introduce more lines to make it easy for me or which way to go on.

Lofting is also an option, even though i have been told that is a wrong way to go forward and create the surface of a vessel. The reason being that it constrains a lot the surface and then creates uneven surface (ofcourse depends with the quality of the curvature of the graphs).

Since the lines plan has been created by hand and the AutoCad DWG is made by me there might be some mistakes on the original and thats the justification i listen to continue with the curve network.

Another thing i came on is that when i combine lofting and curve network surfaces, they cannot be joined. Is there any reason for this?

Any words of advice to continue? Do you know of any tutorial that may help me?

Thanks

If you haven't already, check out http://boatdesign.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4. If there is a tutorial about Rhino hull modeling, it would be there.

That site also has an interesting thread about the the various options "Rhino- Sweep 2 Rails vs Loft for hull surface?". And, to be perfectly honest, I was treating "Loft" and "Sweep 2 Rails" (with various cross sections) as the same.

One other quick note:

I've generally found that Rhino performs best - Loft, Sweep, Curve Network, etc. - when the input curves for each specific direction (U or V) are of the same degree and point count. It would also help if (should varying point weights be used) the weights progress in a consistant fashion.

• 6 years later...

Hi all,

I am working on a catamaran design.. My plan is to design a 45m catamaran and also design fastest possible RHIB (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat), any ideas would be appreciated. I need help for lines plan of any catamaran. I checked out the pegasus one in the thread. If anyone can share other hull lines plan it would of great help.

Thank you