Dynamic Block Rotation

RFRUSSO

I have a North Arrow that I would love to make into a dynamic block. I would like to be able to rotate the N that represents where the north direction is. But while rotating the N around the center of a circle I would like the letter itself to stay un-rotated. It seems simple, if I rotate the letter around the axis of a circle 90 deg, I would like the letter itself to rotate -90 deg on it's own axis. Of course this is easy to do manualy, but how do i do it so that rotation 1 automaticaly triggers rotation 2?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• BelCAD

• Cad64

• RFRUSSO

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are great videos. I have watched them all when i first started working with CAD 2006. They don't cover what I am trying to do. I was hoping that some one here would know if it could be done and if so how to do it.

I thought that I had done this in the past but I can't get it to work now. either. I was convinced that I rotated the text at angle * -1 but that no longer works. I also tried moving the text but had nothing to tie it to.

this works if you only rotate orthogonally!

:D

We need a way of rotating the letter AGAINST the other angle. This rotates with and subsequently rotates twice as fast as the circle.

Hmmm, can't seem to get the drawing to work. When I click on the link, the drawing opens in the block editor. Then when I close out of the editor, the drawing closes. I get a message stating "the drawing contains authoring elements, open in block editor?" If I click "Yes," the drawing opens in the block editor, if I click "No" the drawing opens without any dynamic properties.

:lol: Nice one, you get a gold star for that :star:

Thanks. :D

I've waited most of the morning for somebody to ask me how its done. :cry:

so I'll tell anyway. :)

I excluded the "N" from the rotate selection set but have added a Point Parameter at its insert point. There is a Move action associated with the Point parameter and a Chain action on the Point. When the rotation is applied all but the N rotate and the chain action on the point instigates a move. I have made a couple of cosmetic changes since I posted this but in essence it's much the same. I feel so smug! :D

You are a rock star my friend! This is a great block. I was so hung up on trying to figure out how to get the N to have some sort of negative rotation value, I never even considered using any of the other options. I was a slave to the box. I am going to use this as a reference to build my own to see if I can build a similar block that is as clean and sharp as yours. Thank you.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Been looking a long time for this one and yes... here it is, you don't know how this makes my life easier! Thx alot for sharing!!

I was looking for this thread a few weeks ago and could I find it? Of course not. At least I remembered what I did and managed to replicate it. Thanks for the thanks. 8)

:( Just one small thing going wrong. In "test block" everything is fine and working like it should, but when saved and used in a drawing, the attribute keeps sitting at it's original place and doesn't move when a rotate is applied. Is it because I use an attribute i.s.o plain text... Strange it works in "test"

Any idea? Thnx in advance!

and chain action is set on one of the actions?

edit.........

to put it another way, you certainly can use move with attributes