guitarguy1685

Moving and object to align in one axis

guitarguy1685

I want to move an object down and align with an angled object. I don't know how to do this easily. I've always drawn a vertical line, and trim it at the two lines. Then I use that line to snap to to get my alignment.

I can't use perpendicular because then my object will have shifted to the rights.

Is there an easier way?

DtAtmi9.png?1

CyberAngel

Someone who knows more about 3D work will probably have a better answer, but I'll throw this out.

Call the angled object A and the other one B. Move one end of B to some point on A. Switch to some orthogonal plane view, such as XY, and rotate B to match A. Now switch to another plane, such as XZ, and rotate B again. It's clunky, but mathematically that should get the job done.

Not sure if the align command works in 3D. Oh wait, it does, I tried it.

f700es

Was going to say "align" should do it ;)

lrm

Is this a 2D drawing and you just want to move the line down in y and keep the line's x coordinate end the same? Should we assume the line you want to move is at the correct orientation? If so, just turn on ortho, draw a ray down and use object snape end and intersection wit move. No need to "trim it at the two lines".

If is is a 3D drawing then use ALIGN as previously suggested but you will need to determine the correct target point

3dwannab

OA lisp by LeeMac. http://www.lee-mac.com/objectalign.html

Just set the OFFSET to 0.

ObjectAlignV1-1.gif

Or you could just use a filter to lock it to the y axis. Right click while using the lower left pick point. As you can see, I've it mapped to F11.

2018-07-21_11-35-54.jpg