MAPEXPORT only producing .prj

WSSI-GIS

Good morning,

I am a novice CAD user. I have always been able to use the MAPEXPORT command to export polylines and polylgons to .shp files so that I could used them in ArcGIS. All of a sudden yesterday this command would only produce the .prj file and not the .cpg, .dbf, .idx, .sbn, .sbx, .shp, and .shx files. I do not know if I somehow managed to change a setting. Please advise!

Thank you,

There should be an Export Location button. Exactly where depends on how you work, for instance, it would be an option on the MAPEXPORT tile on the Ribbon. The location dialog will include the file type, as does almost any Save/Save As dialog. Select the file type before typing the name and pressing OK.

If that doesn't solve your problem, please provide more information.

Thank you for your response.

I can only explain the process that I've been using to complete this task.

1. I select my polyline(s)

2. Command Line: "MAPEXPORT"

3. Set my destination. Set my file type to ESRI .shp

4. Make my type selections (point, line, polygon, text) which in this case is line

5. Select the attribute data I want to be exported with the geometry

6. Click OK to complete the command.

The result every time is a .prj file and nothing else.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks,

Have you checked to make sure the file you exported is a PRJ file and not the SHP file you wanted? Some apps do that. Rename the file and it should be okay.

According to a 2016 thread at Autodesk, a MAPEXPORT is supposed to create DBX, IDX, SHP, SHX, and PRJ files. Their problem was using the wrong coordinate system.

Here's the link, which includes a reference to a related issue.

Also some instructions on converting between AutoCAD Civil 3D and GIS.

I don't have access to Civil 3D any more, so I can't do more than give sketchy advice.

• 1 year later...

Save to a scratch folder with a shorter destination on the drive. I run into this problem when try to save to a folder that is buried deep within other folders.