BIG NEWS: We're upgrading

CADTutor

Obviously everyone's credentials will transfer over, but I presume everyone will have to login fresh on the new platform.

So now might be a good time to figure out if you know your password and/or change it.

Apparently the signature links are not included  into the new updates / design, besides that the members that are online in the same forum can't be seen anymore.

Edited by Tharwat

21 hours ago, Tharwat said:

Apparently the signature links are not included  into the new updates / design, besides that the members that are online in the same forum can't be seen anymore.

True, there isn't a perfect mapping from the old forum to the new one and although there is some difference in functionality, there is some new stuff that sort-of compensates. The lack of signatures does give a better reading experience within each topic and if you want to know more about a member, you can hover over the profile picture to see the profile modal. Although online members cannot be seen per forum, you can see who is online for the whole board using Forums > Online Users and filter by "Logged In".

The signatures is an Invision thing.

We saw the same when Piriform first changed over to Invision, all user signatures disappeared at first but then they just mysteriously came back a few months later.
It was nothing Piriform did they just appeared again one day.

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/49151-new-forum-look/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-292760

Edited by nukecad

Sorry, I have been a permanent contributor in CADTutor for almost ten years now and this is the first time I feel that I am uncomfortable due to this new design or software although that I witnessed many forums around with new designs but this one is not to me.

The website seems like a blog than a professional website that I used to enjoy my time with for years now ! and the AutoLISP forum is almost fully blanked with white color and without knowing which thread that I have already participated with unless I concentrate so deeply where that small star icon lays on the left side hand. 

To be fair, the reply window is the best with the new updates / software but I also noticed is that the code tags window is with cyan background colour.! 

Sorry for this disappointing view but I am a big fan of this website so please take my opinion as an encouragement for better changes.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, nukecad said:

The signatures is an Invision thing.

True, signatures can be configured in Invision Community but I thought we'd start with a clean slate and a better reading experience and see how it goes. If members are still yelling about their lost signatures in a few weeks time, I might be persuaded to restore them. But I must admit, I'm liking the current arrangement.

2 minutes ago, Tharwat said:

Sorry for this disappointing view but I am a big fan of this website so please take my opinion as an encouragement for better changes.

I realise it's a big shock to the system, particularly since we've been with the old board for such a long time. The truth is that there was no choice but to make a change - the old software is now considered "legacy" and is not supported on modern hosting servers. Yes, we could have upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin but, in truth, even the latest version is looking a bit dated by now. Plus, Invision Community provides many new opportunities for our community that I haven't talked about yet. So this wasn't a frivolous choice - I've been researching and planning for a couple of years.

All I can say is, give it a chance. Hopefully you'll feel a little better about the change after you've had a little while to get used to it.

• Like 1