Ortho with 45 degrees

aban

3 hours ago, Cad64 said:

I understand about the 45 degree increments but what I don't understand is why he only wants 0, 45 and 90? He has said that several times so I'm assuming he doesn't want 135, 180, 225, 270 and 315. I don't understand why those other angles are a problem? And I'm not even sure if a custom command will be able to do what he wants because those other angles are automatically generated when you initiate a 45 degree angle snap.

Polar Tracking works great for me, but as you said, if he wants a true lock down of the cursor, he will have to get someone to help customize that.

True, it is confusing. The user keeps saying "Ortho plus 45°", which is hard to interpret. In my mind I think the user wants ortho angles, then each 45 angle in between. 8 angles total is how I am seeing it. 

-TZ

1 hour ago, tzframpton said:

True, it is confusing. The user keeps saying "Ortho plus 45°", which is hard to interpret. In my mind I think the user wants ortho angles, then each 45 angle in between. 8 angles total is how I am seeing it. 

-TZ

Yes correct. That's what I'd want. Thank you.

6 hours ago, tzframpton said:

He's just wanting to lock down a 45° incremental angle only with his mouse. Not possible without some type of customization as far as I know. 

I'm getting confused with "only 45 and 90 degree angles" because 45° factors into 90°, so the request for 90° is irrelevant I'm assuming? The angles he's wanting locked down, as I see it, are as follows:

• 45°
  • 90°
  • 135°
  • 180°
  • 225°
  • 270°
  • 315°

Polar Tracking can achieve the above, but it sounds like the user wants a true "lock down" of the cursor movement path. If this is all accurate then I do believe a customization would be in place. 

-TZ

Yeah this is exactly what I'd like. I'll have to go to the lisp section for this then.  Thank you very much!

• Like 1

hi I just notice this, for further discussion at AutoCAD customization

example: draw line command

L45.gif

p/s: IMO the reason orthomode  must be  0d-90d due to we must consider Z not just X,Y.

if you customize ortho 45 there would be 2 different results (either XY plane & 45d or Z elevation).

ie: you can write routine but only works in the XY plane.

Edited by hanhphuc
GIF

• 4 weeks later...

When I figured out how to use polar/object snap tracking, I dropped ortho like a hot potato and never looked back. 

Edited by RobDraw
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, RobDraw said:

When I figured out how to use polar/object snap tracking, I dropped ortho like a hot potato and never looked back. 

^^^^^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^^^^^

• 8 months later...

I was looking for the same feature because the Polar Tracking doesn't limit the snap angle of your cursor to ONLY the angles specified.  It does tell you when your cursor reaches that angle by displaying a dashed line, but it doesn't lock it there or limit movement of your cursor to that angle.  This is very interesting because DataCAD has had that feature since Version 3 and probably before (I started with V3). It is called SnapAngle.  Simple.  You set the angle, turn it on and drag your cursor.  It will lock on the incremental angles that you set and you can only draw a line or move an object at those set angles relative to your last input (until you toggle off SnapAngle with a single keystroke).  I can't believe that AutoCAD won't do this after 37 years!  If you are an architect or an architectural draftsman, you will understand why this is an important feature.  The problem is that I am now stuck working for a government agency that uses AutoCAD exclusively.  After using DataCAD for 33 years and transitioning back to AutoCAD for the first time since v2000 I am remembering why I despise this program as a drafting tool.  The only reason AutoCAD still exists is because Autodesk did a better job of lobbying the government and created a monopoly in the process.  There is nothing easy or intuitive about AutoCAD.  Moderator - Will you allow the truth to be displayed on your website?

15 minutes ago, Michael McGill said:

I was looking for the same feature because the Polar Tracking doesn't limit the snap angle of your cursor to ONLY the angles specified.

You mean like this?

16 minutes ago, Michael McGill said:

The only reason AutoCAD still exists is because Autodesk did a better job of lobbying the government and created a monopoly in the process.  There is nothing easy or intuitive about AutoCAD. 

OK, sure, that's the reason right there. nothing but a C-O-N..spiricy! LOL

Screenshot_2.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Michael McGill said:

DataCAD has had that feature since Version 3 and probably before (I started with V3). It is called SnapAngle.  Simple.  You set the angle, turn it on and drag your cursor.  It will lock on the incremental angles that you set and you can only draw a line or move an object at those set angles relative to your last input (until you toggle off SnapAngle with a single keystroke).  I can't believe that AutoCAD won't do this after 37 years! 

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, Autocad has the same thing. It's called SNAPANG. Set it to the angle you want, turn on Ortho and away you go. When you're done, set SNAPANG back to 0. Are you saying Datacad allows you to set multiple angles?

I prefer Polar Tracking though. It's much easier and faster and you can snap to any angle increment on the fly rather than having to stop and set the angle manually.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Michael McGill said:

Moderator - Will you allow the truth to be displayed on your website?

What makes you think that what you are saying is truth as opposed to opinion?

These kinds of posts claiming a greater good usually come from narrow minded people who don't realize how versatile AutoCAD is. If it doesn't work the way they think it should, they automatically blame the programmers for not implementing a feature or fix.

SMH...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Michael McGill said:

Moderator - Will you allow the truth to be displayed on your website?

I don't know about "Truth" but your post will not be edited or deleted, unlike some other forums which I will not mention. You're entitled to your opinion, but seriously,  you clearly stated that you haven't used Autocad since version 2000, so how can you criticize a program you know very little about?

It has become very popular to bash Autocad lately because it doesn't do this or it doesn't do that. In all honesty, EVERY program has its pro's and con's. There is no such thing as a perfect program that will do everything that everyone wants it to do. I have tried several different CAD programs and in my opinion, there is no better 2D drafting program than Autocad. Bricscad is a close 2nd though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cad64 said:

It has become very popular to bash Autocad lately because it doesn't do this or it doesn't do that.

I think it gets bashed because industries have moved on. AutoCAD has had its time and will never be forgotten but will not be missed either. :)

-TZ

15 hours ago, tzframpton said:

I think it gets bashed because industries have moved on. AutoCAD has had its time and will never be forgotten but will not be missed either. :)

-TZ

Ok, but Autocad is not a competitor with a program like Revit for instance. So why would a Revit user bash Autocad because it can't do the things that Revit can do? It's not supposed to be like Revit. It's not even in the same ballpark.  And anyway, this guy is not a Revit user. He's coming from Datacad and he has admitted that he hasn't used Autocad since 2000, but rather than ask for help, he signed up just to complain, and that's my biggest problem with his post. I don't care if people don't like Autocad. I couldn't care less. But when someone has little to no experience with the program and they sign up for no other reason than to complain and post negative comments, that's not cool. This is a help forum, not the complaint department.

• Like 1

LMAO, like that idiot over on the SketchUp forum talking about how BAD AutoCAD is an then....right out of his own mouth.....

Screenshot_4.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, f700es said:

LMAO, like that idiot over on the SketchUp forum talking about how BAD AutoCAD is an then....right out of his own mouth.....

Yeah, when I said it's popular to bash Autocad, I was actually referring to these guys. People who used Autocad way back on R12 or R14 and haven't touched it since, but they somehow think they know all about the program and they have these strong opinions about how bad it is and how completely unusable it is, out of the box. These people have no clue what they're talking about and all they're doing is spreading misinformation about a program they know nothing about. 

1 hour ago, Cad64 said:

Ok, but Autocad is not a competitor with a program like Revit for instance. So why would a Revit user bash Autocad because it can't do the things that Revit can do? It's not supposed to be like Revit. It's not even in the same ballpark.  And anyway, this guy is not a Revit user. He's coming from Datacad and he has admitted that he hasn't used Autocad since 2000, but rather than ask for help, he signed up just to complain, and that's my biggest problem with his post. I don't care if people don't like Autocad. I couldn't care less. But when someone has little to no experience with the program and they sign up for no other reason than to complain and post negative comments, that's not cool. This is a help forum, not the complaint department.

Not just Revit and the AEC industry - it's most industries. Structural detailing, manufacturing, fabrication, sheet metal, plastics and molds, auto and aerospace, etc. 

I think a lot of the bashing came from AutoCAD users first, berating the upcoming programs in recent decades - from many who were not users at all of these newer CAD applications. This caused, in my opinion, a backlash from those who did use these newer programs, many of which were experienced in both the AutoCAD platform and their newly found platform. Now, this is entirely different than the user above, who's single post admits that they haven't used AutoCAD since a near ancient time by today's standards. I will side with you and Sean that this type of bashing is completely malicious and comes from the users feelings rather than genuine expression from experience. 

Referring to my above definition of "bashing" should be translated to "genuine criticism", and not the actual bashing from this McGill character. I think genuine criticism these days is nothing more than the honest truth that AutoCAD is an aged platform, quickly becoming - or completely - being irrelevant in certain industries. It's not a bad thing, it's just professionals in the industry being completely honest. Shifts in economic processes happen in all sectors, all the time. People choose what they think is best in their respective market, and they provide comment in why it does or does not work for them. 

I say all of this to re-focus my commentary above. I'm not comparing platforms directly, I'm stating the exact opposite - industries have "moved on" because AutoCAD and these other platforms are not in fact directly comparable. That's the entire point of the statement. 

-TZ

I also think a lot of the bashing comes from those that never really learned AutoCAD to start with. Then blamed their inability to learn it on the program instead of themselves. ;)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 3:23 AM, tzframpton said:

He's just wanting to lock down a 45° incremental angle only with his mouse. Not possible without some type of customization as far as I know. 

I'm getting confused with "only 45 and 90 degree angles" because 45° factors into 90°, so the request for 90° is irrelevant I'm assuming? The angles he's wanting locked down, as I see it, are as follows:

• 45°
  • 90°
  • 135°
  • 180°
  • 225°
  • 270°
  • 315°

Polar Tracking can achieve the above, but it sounds like the user wants a true "lock down" of the cursor movement path. If this is all accurate then I do believe a customization would be in place. 

-TZ

So is making this customization possible?