New Forum Feedback

CADTutor

2 minutes ago, Lee Mac said:

That's hard to say - given the number of years I've posted here, potentially several hundred - but others also used to use formatting in code posts, and so the issue may not be solely limited to my posts.

Hmm, OK. This needs some further thought. I'm not going to try anything drastic right now but it's on the list, as is the syntax highlighting. Unfortunately, that is not a simple task but it's high up on my priority list.

It's not impossible and there are various things that may have caused this. The data in the old forum was subject to a number of changes during the migration. First there was a character set translation from latin1 to UTF-8. This was unavoidable and brings the forum into line with contemporary web content. In the vast majority of cases, this will have made no difference to the characters displayed but there are always edge cases. Second, the translation of code that includes special characters such as the octothorpe (hash) character can cause problems as these have special meanings in HTML. If the characters were incorrectly encoded in the first place, they may have been stripped out.

I do appreciate that those sort of translation problems can have serious consequences for code scripts but it's not something that could easily have been foreseen.

You can amend that code block by clicking the Code button while editing the post.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronjonp said:

No worries .. just bringing it to your attention. I have far too many code posts to fix translation errors 😬

OK, I think I've worked out what's going on. A quick look at the affected code indicates that where the hash character in used, the rest of that line has been omitted. The likely cause for this is in the PHP parsing of the code. The hash character (#) is a comment character in PHP i.e. it and everything after it is ignored. It looks as though that's what happened in this case and it's obviously a bug in the translation software. I'll report this back to the developers.

It should be fine to use that character going forward, it only affects translated code blocks.

To be clear, this bug only affects code with specific characters or character combinations. Fortunately, those characters/combinations are not common in AutoLISP so I don't expect this to have affected a large number of code blocks. However, let me know if you think otherwise.

1 hour ago, ronjonp said:

The next flood of posts will be: "I copied your codes and  get 'malformed list on input'." 😞

A quick survey of code posted prior to last weekend seems to reveal that this will be rare. I couldn't find any other instances apart from the one you highlighted. However, I'd appreciate it someone with a more acute eye for code could also take a look and report back.

I just checked the online user list and apparently it's just me and 182 ghosts, I mean guests. Lol

By the way, I'm really liking this new drag and drop image upload functionality. So much easier and faster than the old way.

Guests.jpg

• Like 1

@admin, though not important to me, perhaps other will spot this minor bug later? - last post time not synchronized 🤫 

Last visited: 2 minutes ago

Forum Latest

Currently Active Threads

Export a table from multiple drawing…

by wrha 5 replies
Last post: 96 hours ago

Error on a cancel button in DCL

by AdamW 2 replies
Last post: 101 hours ago

2 hours ago, hanhphuc said:

last post time not synchronized

I'm not sure what you mean. The quote looks like it has come from the old forum. I've checked those topics in the new forum and it all looks good. Am I missing something?

10 hours ago, Cad64 said:

By the way, I'm really liking this new drag and drop image upload functionality. So much easier and faster than the old way.

In addition to the Drag/Drop feature, you can simply Ctrl+V paste any Windows Copied image directly into the editor window. Using Windows snipping tool, just Copy the image and it inserts seamlessly. I cannot express how much more efficient this is for sharing that ever-so-helpful quick screenshot to point inquirers in the right direction. 

-TZ

• Like 2

and not just the guests.

My bet is the quests are search engine spiderbots.  When they crawl a site, they usually open a bunch of files in quick succession so the hit count can get quite large fairly quickly.

I don't know how long these type of reports keep a visit as active after the initial hit.

7 minutes ago, David Bethel said:

My bet is the quests are search engine spiderbots.

Many of them will be and one of the tweaks I just made to the forum is to serve only chached pages to guests, so that won't affect spiders but will reserve more server oompf for logged in users.

2 hours ago, CADTutor said:

I'm not sure what you mean. The quote looks like it has come from the old forum. I've checked those topics in the new forum and it all looks good. Am I missing something?

I believe hanhphuc is referring to the home page at cadtutor.net where it has recent and hottest posts not being connected to the forum now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SLW210 said:

I believe hanhphuc is referring to the home page at cadtutor.net where it has recent and hottest posts not being connected to the forum now.

Ah! Yes, of course - thanks for reminding me. The scripts that run those blocks are still pointing to the old database, so they will now be out of synch with the new forum. It's on my to-do list. Feel like I should get that tattooed on my forehead :D

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CADTutor said:

It is now! :D

Turns out this is a standard feature in this software, it was just buried quite deep in the ACP.

Thanks!