New Forum Feedback

CADTutor

Added Chars (question marks) after COPYING from CODE

addedchar.gif.81c64b9ce1ad29428b4acbb97846fdc9.gif
(I'm joining an animated gif to show the behavior, hoping it shows) That happened to me maybe 3-4 times so far. Trying to figure out why this code bombed on my side, I found out that the var "msp" wasn't defined (but the var "msp?" was). I was about to post about that and noticed that the the var in the code section was actually "msp", and not "msp?". (Having tried numerous time in the past to use "wisiwig" kind of things, I found out that too often we get our text messed due to hidden mismatched tags, so back then I just learned how tags worked and controled them manually, turning off for good wisiwig.) I thought that maybe some kind of html tags were responsible for the added question marks, I pasted in notepad (that I always use to remove all formatting from copied text when I need to remove formatting) and to my surprise it modified the police of the txt file after pasting in it. In vlide, it instead adds randomly "?" The weirdest part is that when I reload the page either "?" don't insert themselves in copied text, or get inserted randomly at (other) random positions as example below. 

(I just noticed on the gif that it added one inside the c:scatter function as well.)

image.png.b942e03c9c57c65b405c380f66b8c217.png

So I went back, reloaded the page, copied and pasted again and look. None in scatter and in the "msp" var name, and none at the end of that line but one has been added before the scatter command.
image.png.80feb85619978a55a4e56b9654f99a2f.png
Am I the only one having that issue?

• Thanks 1

So, if I can summarise; if you paste the code copied from a code block into Notepad, the extra characters are not there but if you paste into the Visual Lisp editor, they are there?

What happens if you copy the pasted code from Notepad and paste it into the Visual Lisp editor?

2 minutes ago, CADTutor said:

So, if I can summarise; if you paste the code copied from a code block into Notepad, the extra characters are not there but if you paste into the Visual Lisp editor, they are there?

What happens if you copy the pasted code from Notepad and paste it into the Visual Lisp editor?

Your summarisation..  summation.. you summarized (almost) perfectly. The chars do not "appear" in notepad, but are still there (they are responsible for the police change I think). I just tested to be sure, and if I copy back from notepad to vlide, the "?" follow and tag along and get pasted as well at the same position, regardless is I go directly in vlide or from post to notepad to vlide. I would have expected otherwise if notepad would have removed the formatting....
I'm using chrome, if anyone is wondering.

Wow! Notepad is supposed to be plain text - if you can't see it, it ain't there. How is that even possible?

Can you give us a link to the post you were copying from so I can see if it can be replicated?

Be good to get some feedback from others - anyone else seeing the same thing?

It imports just fine in Bricscad Blade, and checking it in a hex with Notepad++ there are no weird characters hiding anywhere, could it be a system language setting?

1 hour ago, CADTutor said:

Wow! Notepad is supposed to be plain text - if you can't see it, it ain't there. How is that even possible?

Can you give us a link to the post you were copying from so I can see if it can be replicated?

Be good to get some feedback from others - anyone else seeing the same thing?

I provided the link in the 1rst line of my preceding message. Here's the link again. The source doesn't matter tho. I cannot explain why it randomly occurred in the first place, but I found a way to replicate it 100% of the time. I'm baffled. 1rst time I copy, all fine, 2nd time it adds 1 "?", 3rd time it adds a 2nd "??", and so on.
addedchar2.gif.5bcad0bb48b747d464a0a0630788f1c2.gif

One thing that crossed my mind, which is is might be special chars. I pasted in notepad, (the police changes), and tried to saveas. 1rst attempt, notepad froze solid, i had to terminate the process. 2nd try, saveas worked, and as expected got the popup telling me that this file contains unicode formatted chars, and they would be lost if I save in ansi format. If I paste here I see that it is the left blue border of the code section from which I copied.

(populate "b" 20 1.5 0.01 1000.0)

x-files type kind of stuff...

edit: if I paste in word, I don't have the left border, but the background of the line in light blue, same as in the code /code blocks...

Edited by Jef!

they are empty span tags and it appears as "?" when they are pasted (I just cannot figure out why 1 pair seems added for every subsequent copy paste, or why they can be added at random spots in the copied string). Here's what is behind my preceding post if I look at the source code of the page

image.thumb.png.6e22d1ccc6d12f36ab466492389f0be0.png

So that is what is behind the "(pop?ulate "b" 20 1.5 0.01 1000.?0)????" (last paste that i made in the video)...
edit: Apparently it is a it's a side effect of copying HTML in browsers, specifically Chrome. -> Source link! <-

Edited by Jef!

12 hours ago, CADTutor said:

Really, nearly transparent? Can you share a screen grab?

I have noticed that the text renders differently in different browsers but that's down to the browser render engine rather than the forum software. Here's what I found:

Firefox = boldest
Edge = medium
Chrome = lightest

I will certainly make new themes available but in the short term, the priority for me is to get everything working just how we want it. Once the forum configuration and functionality is sorted, I'll switch my attention to theming.

And I have Chrome.  I thought that was the case myself, but hoping otherwise. 

Here.s a grab.  NOPE! 😮 didn't load.  I'm having a problem uploading the screenshot, both in png and jpg format.  Only 700 and change kb too.

There doesn't seem to be a provision for removing the attachments from this post. (Never mind, the white space in the preview doesn't show in the actual post.) Is the 200 the error message number?  I see "There was an error uploading the file  -200." or real close to that.

Edited by Dana W

19 hours ago, Cad64 said:

I've been using the Dark Reader add-on for the past few days and haven't come across anyone using dark font colors, but I can see how that could be an issue. The problem I have with Dark Reader is that it slows my browser down considerably. Pages take a long time to load. I just disabled it and now pages load instantly, so unfortunately it looks like I'm back to the default forum colors until the Cadtutor dark theme becomes available. ☹️

Yup, some of those add ons re-process every page, one at a time, rather than simply replace the colors once up front.

12 hours ago, Jef! said:

Apparently it is a it's a side effect of copying HTML in browsers, specifically Chrome.

OK, I can see the logic in that. When the code snippet is copied, the style information is copied with it. This can be demonstrated by pasting into Word. The background colour and font are also pasted (unless "Keep Text Only" is selected).

However, I can't replicate your problem when pasting into VLIDE. I've tried with Firefox and Chrome. In both cases I just get plain text. So I'm now wondering if this has been a change in the way VLIDE pastes copied text or whether browsers have changed the way they encode the styling. I'm using the latest Firefox and Chrome and using AutoCAD 2017. I see you're using AutoCAD 2015, so I'm wondering if that's where the change happened.

I think we need some feedback from people using other versions of AutoCAD before we get a definitive answer.

10 hours ago, Dana W said:

Trying again to upload a grab of my faint font screen. 

Ooh, that does look faint. That's not what I'm seeing, even Chrome isn't that bad on my monitor. I'm really not sure what's causing that - the whole render looks poor, not just the text. Do you see the same thing on other websites or just this one?

4 hours ago, CADTutor said:

Ooh, that does look faint. That's not what I'm seeing, even Chrome isn't that bad on my monitor. I'm really not sure what's causing that - the whole render looks poor, not just the text. Do you see the same thing on other websites or just this one?

Truthfully the clarity of my image did degrade considerably in the processing from screen print, pasted to to MS Paint saved as *.jpg, to upload.  My screen is not that fuzzy.  In fact it is crystal clear, just faint.  However, the contrast level is exactly the same in my upload as it appears on my screen.

I do have a similar but better default look in MS Office products, Outlook, Word, and Excel for example.  The "soft" appearance in the MS programs appeared a few years ago with the Advent of the ribbon there, and I think it was intentional.  There are ways to modify the "default" look in those programs which have been taken advantage of.

I have not found any other similar appearing websites so far.

I am including my own hardware, tied for first place in the Usual Suspects List.

It could simply be something in my 27" actual glass touch screen that can't handle the medium gray font on the pale gray/green background.

Edited by Dana W

On 8/25/2018 at 9:21 AM, Dana W said:

Truthfully the clarity of my image did degrade considerably in the processing from screen print, pasted to to MS Paint saved as *.jpg, to upload.  My screen is not that fuzzy.  In fact it is crystal clear, just faint.  However, the contrast level is exactly the same in my upload as it appears on my screen.

If you want to show what is on your screen, a lossless format such as PNG would better suit the purpose. 

On 8/25/2018 at 4:19 AM, CADTutor said:

OK, I can see the logic in that. When the code snippet is copied, the style information is copied with it. This can be demonstrated by pasting into Word. The background colour and font are also pasted (unless "Keep Text Only" is selected).

However, I can't replicate your problem when pasting into VLIDE. I've tried with Firefox and Chrome. In both cases I just get plain text. So I'm now wondering if this has been a change in the way VLIDE pastes copied text or whether browsers have changed the way they encode the styling. I'm using the latest Firefox and Chrome and using AutoCAD 2017. I see you're using AutoCAD 2015, so I'm wondering if that's where the change happened.

I can see the logic of tags, like adding [ q u o te ] [b o l d] (etc). While you see a bold "hello" in reality it is the word hello surrounded by bold tags. When you copy it if you include the tags in your selection they will be copied as well. What I really don't get is why some get added at random positions like after the 3rd letter of the word "populate", between the name of a variable and its value, or why each time I copy it adds one more. Theoretically if you copy the same source over and over, the result should be constant when you paste. Apparently it seems 

specific to Chrome. -> Source link! <-  but seems weird that you don't get the same behavior on Chrome, because AFAIK VLIDE has never been changed/updated since its original release. Maybe something changed it the clipboard in different windows version. I'm on windows 7. Which OS are you using?

Edited by Jef!
my cited quote turned into one... reverting to text
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2018 at 3:19 AM, CADTutor said:

However, I can't replicate your problem when pasting into VLIDE. I've tried with Firefox and Chrome. In both cases I just get plain text. So I'm now wondering if this has been a change in the way VLIDE pastes copied text or whether browsers have changed the way they encode the styling.

I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but perhaps it might shed some light on something here.

This is a problem I've seen a few times regarding copy+paste from various sources, into the VLIDE. This issue *does* survive the intermediate step of using Notepad, because evidently, Notepad does support extended ASCII characters (if I'm using the right terminology)

http://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=1465

This first image shows the text from the above link, pasted into stock MS Notepad on Windows 10

e6CB93R.png

The second image here, shows the same text pasted into a different (very old) ASCII text editor.

wQsW51t.png

Note the "curly" quotes on the first line, and how they appear correctly in Notepad. If it were not for the regular ASCII "straight" quotes, you might not even see the difference.

5 hours ago, Jef! said:

If you want to show what is on your screen, a lossless format such as PNG would better suit the purpose. 

Good point.  I had forgotten the difference.  here's a png.  EDIT: sheesh, this one's text is more contrasty than my screen by about 10%, but the png is also more blurry

than my screen.screen.png

Edited by Dana W

18 hours ago, Dana W said:

Good point.  I had forgotten the difference.  here's a png.  EDIT: sheesh, this one's text is more contrasty than my screen by about 10%, but the png is also more blurry

than my screen.screen.png

Save as Tif, it's lossless. It'll be identical.