New Forum Feedback

CADTutor

It used to be the case that images larger than 800x600px were automatically scaled and converted to JPG by the forum software, I'm unsure whether this is still the case.

For the purpose of printing, you definitely want to save as tif format, no doubt. But for the web, png or jpg is a better option. When I had my website, I tried putting tif images of my renders on it, but the large file size's caused the pages to load very slowly. When I switched to png, the images were still good quality and the pages loaded much faster.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lee Mac said:

It used to be the case that images larger than 800x600px were automatically scaled and converted to JPG by the forum software, I'm unsure whether this is still the case.

Well, let's check it out.

Screenshot_20180320-081142.png

The first image I pasted, a jpg, was compressed from 177 kb to 69.37 kb.  Not sure what the point of that is.  I don't want to  assume every image type gets hit with about the same  40% +- ratio because there'd be nothing left of a tif or png at that level of degradation.  I suppose it makes the 9.77 mg max limit last a little longer.  I guess we'll have to clean house a little more often.

IMO the jpg is by far the clearer of the two images I did paste up here though.

Edited by Dana W
cuz I gots ACDC, no wait, that's OCD
  • Funny 1

On 8/25/2018 at 4:19 AM, CADTutor said:

I think we need some feedback from people using other versions of AutoCAD before we get a definitive answer.

To think of it, maybe it is caused by the chosen syntax highlight. I noticed that HTML (the one by default) sometimes gives weird results, like when you have in VLIDE a quote mismatch, and everything turns the color of a string. Obviously by choosing something other than "no highlight syntax", it might look for a number of parameters, closing bracket like } and since it is never found, the html color highlight tags might get mismatched, superposed etc...

*poking David*
Is it possible to make No Syntax Highlighting the default choice for everyone in the code pasting window?
image.png.c2b684090daae7cdfa0a044fe1471535.png

• Like 1

On 29/08/2018 at 00:23, Jef! said:

*poking David*
Is it possible to make No Syntax Highlighting the default choice for everyone in the code pasting window?

Good idea. I'll look into it.

• Thanks 1

I love how you used facebook-like functionality, so upon the forum events every user can get addicted. Unlike FB one can learn alot from this place! :D

Still waiting for my 'night mode', although now I use the 'Dark Reader' plugin that f700es suggested (I find it a bit uncomfortable to switch it on/off through my chrome tabs)

also using a plugin forces the members to install something additional to prevent someone's website's drawback.

One may question then why FB doesn't use night mode.. well here I read alot and deal with lisp codes.. on FB I just watch puppies and cats.

• Like 1

Just bumping this into this thread in case Dave has not seen it yet.

There seems to be a Group Permissions issue with the 'Community' sub-forums, similar to (maybe the same cause as) the one with the new usergroup the other week.
Certain members cannot access the Community sub-forums. (I'm one of them)
https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/topic/65901-community-forum/?tab=comments#comment-542022

19 hours ago, nukecad said:

There seems to be a Group Permissions issue with the 'Community' sub-forums, similar to (maybe the same cause as) the one with the new usergroup the other week.
Certain members cannot access the Community sub-forums. (I'm one of them)

You're right - thanks for raising this - now corrected. Sorry for the delay, I was away last week.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:22 PM, CADTutor said:

Good idea. I'll look into it.

Any luck on finding if no highlighting can be the default choice? I've had to edit 234.5 times just to change from the htlm highlight to no highlighting. Yeah, 234.5 times! :P

Oh, another thing while I'm here. Since it looks like we have no option to deactivate smileys in a post like in the previous platform, could you change the shortcut of that guy -> 8) <- to 8-) ?

Mr sunglasses can be annoying when we casually discuss of a list ending by 8 and add a "space" after... Like you need to change the (60 . 8) for (60 . 0) ... Not only he eats the code, but if you copy it the smiley get replace by nothing. Copy-paste gives " (60 . for (60 . 0) ..." 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:34 AM, SLW210 said:

It appears the CAD platform used is no longer in the User Profile.

It now seems I can only see the CAD Platform in my own profile, but not others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, ronjonp said:

The next flood of posts will be: "I copied your codes and  get 'malformed list on input'." 😞

It's rather disheartening to think that errors such as this which have been caused by the forum software will now reflect poorly against the reputation of the programmer - I dread to think how many thousands of posts this may affect... 😧

• Thanks 1

I guess the only sensible thing to do is to correct the code when it gets flagged up by a member. There is no way to systematically check everything. Are you able to correct this one?

22 minutes ago, CADTutor said:

@Lee Mac do you have a sense of how many may be affected. Is it every one, maybe half or just a few?

By the looks of it, it would seem that every instance of "8)" in the code has been removed - this of course won't affect every code post, but I given that 1e-8 is typically used as a fuzz value for the equal function [e.g. (equal a b 1e-8)], there are likely to be many instances.

• Thanks 1