Page not found

steven-g

I'm getting a lot of page not found results from web searches, probably due to their age but searching for Lisp routines, many appear to be old answers, but not updated because they actually still work!
As an example searching for "add sufix to block name" many results and I found one that works dated from 2009 on Autodesk site, but all results from Cadtutor show "Page not found"

Edited by steven-g

Hmm, that's an inevitable consequence of archiving older material. Any topic that hasn't been updated in the past 10 years is now unavailable. It would have been nice to keep everything but I had to make some difficult decisions in order to keep the forum running smoothly. I appreciate that many older LISP routines may still be usable today so if there's anything specific you think should be recovered, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

It was more a comment about the agelessness of some topics. If you look at post views on many subjects, you can often see the numbers run into thousands. It would be interesting to see the time frame on how those numbers are reached, is it a steady continuous climb or a quick high with new posts followed by a trickle as they age. It might be interesting to see the number of hits that the "page not found" gets, if that shows up in your sites control panel. Or will these results in web searches start to decline as the various search engines are updated into the future.

Yep, there will likely be an increase in "not found" errors in the short term for the content that has been archived but once the site has been re-indexed (after a week or so), that will go down and the topics will no longer show on search results pages.

I'll certainly keep an eye on those errors to see what people are searching for, and can't find.

I'm on Chrome and it's fine, looks like someone has been using CSS to remove all styles, that's exactly what you get to see.

• Thanks 1

It's also what happens when my rubbishy candle-powered internet can't connect properly.

Do you keep getting that dispay, Ronjonp, or was it a one-off?

dJE

12 hours ago, danellis said:

It's also what happens when my rubbishy candle-powered internet can't connect properly.

Do you keep getting that dispay, Ronjonp, or was it a one-off?

dJE

Are you using Adblock? That was the culprit for me.

12 hours ago, ronjonp said:

Are you using Adblock? That was the culprit for me.

Oh, that's interesting - you mean AdBlock was causing CSS not to load on this forum?

I'll double check when I get home, but AdBlock on FireFox doesn't cause that, at least on my tablet. I'll try to remember to check on the desktop.