Forum Speed

David Bethel

It looks like we took a pretty big hit on the speed to load each page.  VBulliten was very fast.  I guess we were spoiled.  -David

34 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

I'm thinking there may still be things going on with the switchover slowing it as well. 

Yep, there's a lot of background activity at the moment, which should settle down after a couple of days. Keep me posted.

Deathly slow this morning. Worse than yesterday. 10 to 30+ seconds to load a page.

Using the Chrome debugger, it took over 12 seconds to even start to load the main page.

On this URL (https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/) it took over 12 seconds for the page to even start to load. Then it hung up for over 15 seconds each on these two files: 

https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/uploads/monthly_2018_08/logo.thumb.png.6a7c4d8bcd8185e24f269142590e54b7.png

https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/uploads/monthly_2018_08/avatar238_4.thumb.gif.99e537f76328b3b05e35c94fd1917d48.gif

I refreshed with F5, and then it hung up for over 33 seconds on this file:

https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/applications/core/interface/js/js.php?src=core%2Ffront%2Fcontrollers%2Fwidgets%2Fips.widgets.block.js&csrfKey=dc68f070f406d085997468d129562426&antiCache=7332c61405

Seems kind of random what it decides to hang up on.

2 hours ago, rkmcswain said:

Deathly slow this morning.

Yes, I'm aware of this. It''s not a specific file that's causing the problem, it's an issue with server resources that I need to get to grips with. In theory, we ought to be seeing better performance with this software but I know from the test board that it took a few days to settle down. Additionally, Invision Community is optimised for PHP 7. Currently we are running PHP 5.6, which was necessary to keep the old forum going. I'll be changing to PHP 7 once I've checked it doesn't impact on any other applications on this server. In tests, it looks like PHP 7.2 runs about twice as fast as PHP 5.6, so I'm optimistic that will make a significant improvement.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, danellis said:

It seems to be much better this morning :)

Yep, the hosting team have been working on this in the last few hours and it's feeling much better. Still some improvements yet to come ;)

• Thanks 1

OK, speed optimisation is done for now. The site feels significantly faster to me - how does it feel for you?

For those who want the details, there have been a number of server and forum tweaks, including:

A move from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.2 on the server with PHP now using Zend opcache.
The forum is now utilising the Redis caching method and some file functions moved to MySQL.

In a few weeks time we'll be upgrading MySQL from 5.6 to 5.7. That may also give a little speed boost but the bulk of optimisation is now complete.

Thanks for bearing with me during the transition period. 👍

• Thanks 2

Much better this morning! 

In two days, CADTutor.net has seen more improvements than the entire web staff of a giant CAD corporation has managed to do in over 4 months on their forums.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

Move your cursor over the heart to the right of post.

I only see a heart when someone else has reacted to that post with a "Like".  Tried in both Chrome and IE, but still cannot find a way to react to a post.

6 minutes ago, tombu said:

I only see a heart when someone else has reacted to that post with a "Like".  Tried in both Chrome and IE, but still cannot find a way to react to a post.

Try again now.

• Thanks 2