Editor: return key action

CADTutor

A couple of people have mentioned this, so I thought I'd gather more opinion before making a firm decision.

By default, the return (enter) key gives a new paragraph space like it does in an application like Word. On the old forum editor, return simply gave a new line (no space) like in Notepad. This is an option on the new software - we can choose; keep it like it is (and use Shift+Return for new line) or go back to how it was (Return X2 for a paragraph space). Let me know your thoughts.

I'm used to the Shift+Return, from working in Word, and when I'm typing I typically don't hit return unless I'm going to start a new paragraph, so I would be inclined to keep it the way it is currently, but majority rules. 😉

David, I just accidentally misspelled Shift. I forgot the "F" so I'm sure you can figure out what that spelled. I guess there's no swear filter on the forum anymore?

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Cad64 said:

I guess there's no swear filter on the forum anymore?

Actually, there is. "It's on my to-do list". 😉

• Like 1

I am used to enter=newline, double enter for a new paragraph, and looking at the amount of extra spacing in posts I would think a lot of people use double enter also.

I'll agree with David Bethel. The old way is what most fora seem to use. Though I'm not on many fora these days and seldom use Word anymore. I will adapt either way.

My vote is for new line not new paragraph.

It's simple enough to hit the enter key twice if you want a paragraph spacing, and more intuitive that having to use shift+enter to do a single line.

So it looks like most would prefer it to go back to how it was on the old platform. Personally, I don't mind either way, I work with Word just as much as I do with Sublime Text (my prefered code editor) and I don't have a problem switching between contexts.

I'll leave it a while longer in case there are any counter arguments but if there aren't, I'll switch it to new line mode.

Ha! So it looks like the change converts posts retrospectively. On the up-side, it means we lose the double-spacing from older posts. On the down-side all recent posts will lose their paragraph spacing. On balance, I think that's probably OK.