How to move a line into an angle

stewasbat

Hello everyone

i hope you are all fine. I have a strange problem. I want to move a specific dimensions horizontal line into an angle of 2 other lines so it can fit and create an triangle(i am attaching image).

I dont know how to do it. 

Can anyone help me?

thanks in advance

Katagrafi5.PNG

This problem is easily solved with trigonometry. You have the angles of all three corners (assuming the lines remain as shown) and the length of one side.

For a geometric solution, copy one side of the triangle (call it B) to the far end of the line (call that A). Move A and B together to some point on the other line (predictably called C). You now have two parallel lines, C and C', separated by the desired distance. If you don't have an intersection between C' and B, create one with the Fillet or Extend command. Move line A, using the the end that touches C' as your base point, to the point where C' and B intersect. Because C' is parallel to C, you've determined the proper length of B. Erase C'.

In effect, we've created a parallelogram that has A connecting two corners. Sometimes you have to create a box to think outside of.

Of course, if A isn't restrained to be horizontal, you have an infinite number of solutions.

I would do it in two stages. First move line A so that one end touches line C. Draw a line from the other end of line A, parallel to line C (red line). Move line A to the intersection point of red line and line B.

Moving Line.PNG

6 minutes ago, Dana W said:

....... No need to finagle with drawing a parallel line.

Yes, the parallel Osnap is a tricky one to master!

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2018 at 8:08 PM, CyberAngel said:

This problem is easily solved with trigonometry. You have the angles of all three corners (assuming the lines remain as shown) and the length of one side.

For a geometric solution, copy one side of the triangle (call it B) to the far end of the line (call that A). Move A and B together to some point on the other line (predictably called C). You now have two parallel lines, C and C', separated by the desired distance. If you don't have an intersection between C' and B, create one with the Fillet or Extend command. Move line A, using the the end that touches C' as your base point, to the point where C' and B intersect. Because C' is parallel to C, you've determined the proper length of B. Erase C'.

In effect, we've created a parallelogram that has A connecting two corners. Sometimes you have to create a box to think outside of.

Of course, if A isn't restrained to be horizontal, you have an infinite number of solutions.

I really like your suggestions, thanks.