HELP Trying to create 3D shape with Writing

CMAGEE94

Hi,

Just looking for some help in trying to create something. Attached is a file where I've done as much as i can. Not that educated on AutoCAD just mainly SolidWorks. Trying to just get it to look like a real thing instead of just a mesh shape as it is now. Need two holes on the vertical face aswel where two of these would screw together to make a whole circle. This will be fit onto a lighting column (lamp post) and will have the name of the local area on the angled face.

Hard to explain what exactly i'm looking for but can give more info if needed. Hopefully looking at the CAD file you'll see what i mean.

Any help would be appreciated !!

Sense of Place Column Fitting.dwg

I would make them out of solids and not meshes. You could then use the imprint command for the logo/name on the curved surfaces. Here's what I did in about 5 minutes.

Sean

Edit: You could also look at AutoDesk Fusion 360 under the free hobbyist license ;)

Column Fitting edit.dwg

Sean,

Any chance you could save the drawing in an older format. The software im using is 2014 so quite old. Work are cheapskates not updating to the newest format.

Appreciate your help.

Chris

4 hours ago, CMAGEE94 said:

Sean,

Any chance you could save the drawing in an older format. The software im using is 2014 so quite old. Work are cheapskates not updating to the newest format.

Appreciate your help.

Chris

Sure, my bad I should have looked 1st at your version.

Sean

Column Fitting edit r2013.dwg

• Like 1

Cheers, just want to get a white banding around it now with some writing. Its the writing which is more important and the part im struggling with most. 

Probably east to do just cant get it or find any way to get text at an angle and to follow the curvature of the surface.

Doesnt need to be perfect its just to give a visual representation of what im looking to get manufactured.

Column Fitting edit.dwg

OK...

Create some text.

Use txtexp to explode the text

Use the region command to clean up all text

align the text to where you want it

extrude the text past the outer surface of the shape

use the imprint command to imprint each letter to the surface of the shape

it will ask to remove original object, say yes and there you go ;)

Screenshot_3.thumb.jpg.c4b8dbf195d6caf7dadf87ff9602ee21.jpg

Any chance you could send us that file and i could edit the text if thats possible? Itll make things easier. Although i will follow your steps now to try myself.

Cheers

Great start... NOT.

How are you inserting the text? Inserted some just using text command but when using txtexp it turns the text funny and cant see what it says. The later stages of the steps will be easy however getting this text right first is the problem.

Be helpful if you could just type ST. PETERS SQUARE onto it or stop before the end at a point where the txt is capable of being changed

Thanks.