Exporting DWG files as readable text files

João Arthur

Hi,

I have recently come up with an idea for a project. And to execute that idea i need to be able to read trough a DWG and perform calculations based on the dimensions of walls, windows, doors and stuff like that.  Is there anyway i can save a dwg of a floor plan in some kind of text format so i can write a program that is able to read trough it and identify those elements and perform calculations based on those dimensions?

Thank You.

Yeah its called Autocad, Revit, Architecture etc With a deep bit of BIM. 

If you could just press a button then this forum would not exist.

There is a massive amount of big hint Dataextraction avialble out of the box depending on package used. 

9 hours ago, João Arthur said:

Hi,

I have recently come up with an idea for a project. And to execute that idea i need to be able to read trough a DWG and perform calculations based on the dimensions of walls, windows, doors and stuff like that.  Is there anyway i can save a dwg of a floor plan in some kind of text format so i can write a program that is able to read trough it and identify those elements and perform calculations based on those dimensions?

Thank You.

If it is true....
I think that this will not help you, but this is the answer to your question ...
Save the .dwg file as .dxf, then open this .dxf with Notepad.

Again if you set up what you are drawing then yes you can do what you want, an example room sizes can be a block with L&W saved. Windows can have all their details saved as well.

There is a thing called xdata that is saved with an object you dont see it but its there and can have lots of info. 

There is no magic wand but Revit and Autocad Architecture tend to go down that path of extracting quantity's.

Blocks can have fields ie move a wall and the sizes are automatically updated.

3dhouse.thumb.jpg.5893826d73fbbe900641399119a244d3.jpg