Algorithm for Rendering

aloy

Can someone enlighten me on the type of calculations or the algorithm used in the rendering process?.

Thanking in advance for any help,

Aloy

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of rendering, check out the OpenGL system. Not only do they explain how the process works, you can go as deep as you like into the code.

If you want to know how Autodesk does rendering, it depends on what product and what version you're using. No doubt their engines are trade secrets.

Edited by CyberAngel

Cyber Angel,

Thanks a lot for giving me a treasure trove of information. I see that OpenGL is being replaced by glNext without backward compatibility.

Appreciate your help.

Aloy

If you are totally unfamiliar with rendering techniques I think a good place to start is with ray tracing.  For super realistic rendering radiosity is sometimes used although it is not available in AutoCAD it is an option in 3ds Max.  There are other good wikipedia references for rendering as well this one.  Note the distinction between real-time and non real-time renderers.  There's an interesting (but dated) thread here about OpenGL and real-time rendering here.  Rendering technology is evolving rapidly!  Check out this recent Autodesk article About the Differences Between Rendering In the Current and An Earlier Release

18 hours ago, aloy said:

I see that OpenGL is being replaced by glNext without backward compatibility.

Now I've learned something. I love this board!

Edit: Who comes up with these names? When it comes time to replace glNext, what will they call the next version after that?

Edited by CyberAngel

14 hours ago, CyberAngel said:

Who comes up with these names? When it comes time to replace glNext, what will they call the next version after that?

Probably its like the 'Advanced' name given to IBM products like PC ATA (in 1980s) and ending up as SATA 3 for connecting hard drive. Even the names like AMD and ARM are all 'advanced' which perhaps in a couple of decades will be considered of dinosaur age.