3D Laser scanning to CNC machine language

David Bethel

For a friend on mine :

Is it possible to have existing casting or forged piece ( steel of some flavor or magnetic material ) scanned and converted into a machine center language for replicating ?

With a casting, I would think that the tolerances / accuracy could only be so exact.

I was guessing that machine's language would have to be known ( or is there a a standard ? )

Also the person doing this must have knowledge and skill as to the order of actions and proper tool usage .

Any suggestions ?

TIA  -David

3D laser scanners usually will generate a 3D model, which can then be used to manufacture the part. Most newer CAM/CNC machines will accept the most common types of CAD files as they normally come with CAM software to use common 3D models, usually BobCAD or MasterCAM or similar, older equipment might need converted to a g-code. Lot's of variables in all of the available machinery software.

Really need to know the specifics of the machinery to give exact requirements.

I was just looking into 3D scanners last week.

WOW My reply from my cell didn't post 🙄

I have asked for more specs on the piece and the machine.  Hopefully there are companies that do this as a 1 stop deal.  Thanks  -David