Convert photo or vector to dxf/dwg

claire2017

Hi,

This is probably more of a photoshop/illustrator question but i thought i'd try it here anyway.

I have an image that needs to be converted to into a bunch of circles that will then define the image. It's basically the 'halftone effect' or similar that is used in photoshop.

The circles will then be cut out of a large sheet for an external facade screen. The circles are all different sizes and the distance between them varies as this is what creates the shadows etc.  The holes also have to be perfect circles as they will probably be drilled and require a centre point rather than cut on the cnc.

I've attached an image of basically what it should look like (this isnt the actual image i'm using, the one i'll be using is a lot more complex but you get the idea).

So what i need to do is firstly, find out the best way to convert the image so it has all the circles (perfect circles), then, convert it to a dxf.

Any ideas? Or suggestions of programmes that might be able to help?

Halftone effect.png

We had some road side images produced 6x3m the sign supplier did all the work, so what Iam suggesting is talk to the sign manufacturer rather than spends hours trying to solve.

Apparently Autocad 2019 now has the Raster Design toolset included. I haven't used it myself, but after watching some Youtube videos, it seems to do a pretty good job of converting raster images to vector linework. I'm not sure how well it will convert circles, but you can download the Autocad 2019 trial version and see if it will work for what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, i eventually found a very old program called halftoner where you just drag an image into the program and it converts it for you in a few seconds!

• Thanks 2