Creating a turning area (hammerhead)

gojrno1

I’m fairly new to Civil 3D and need to create a turning area (also called a hammerhead) at the end of an access road.

I know Civil 3D enables the creation of junctions etc., but from what I have read, turning areas are created using different methods and involve a series of alignments, surface profiles, corridors and assemblies.

However, I am not sure how to carry out the design correctly, does anyone have any step by step notes on the subject or could give me a bit of guidance?

Thanks

Unfortunately its just experience there is a few ways you can make an alignment that goes all the way around and you need to take into account the change of grades at IP points. Another more simpler way is to use a plane solution you create a 3d plane surface and just lay the alignment onto it so it gives the design levels.

The same applies to car parks if you can make a plane surface of your car park you will design it no time compared to trying to make individual alignments for ever element like islands etc. The same applies with court bowls you make a tiny alignment at court centre with same level then grade from kerb to this point as often in a court bowl road slope changes as you go around.

41 years designing helps

I've managed to do the straight access road by doing alignments, profiles and a corridor.

With the turning area, I've done alignments for the centreline and the perimeter, as well as connected alignments between the road offset and the turning area radius. Then, I've created baselines and regions for the turning area to ensure they have the correct assemblies.

When I re-build the corridor, at first glance it looks ok, however, a closer look reveals the levels are a bit off for the tirning area and the turning area itself is not the right shape, the corners are not completed.

In terms, of levels, i think it may be something to do with the vertical profiles, not sure though.

Post a dwg, for me  a disclaimer we use a 3rd part civil software add on because its easier than CIV3d default and has some extra smarts. Stuff like model and see in 3d.