Pattern Making. New user looking for advice

I currently use Adobe Illustrator to design 2D patterns for my leather products. I am concerned that my designs are becoming too technical for Illustrator. I have attached a .jpeg of my main issue. I am unable to easily map out punch holes on the curve that are to be matched up with the ones on the straight line. This rendering will actually work but it too A LOT of time. Hoping there is a feature in AutoCAD that can help expedite this process. Any advice is much appreciated. 

mockdesign.jpg

+1 hugha, and to speed it up a bit, I'd create a block from the pair of holes which can be used with the measure command and aligned to the path, and then break the offset polylines at the midpoint trimming them back the correct amount which might be easier getting everything symetrical.

A bit more two holes as a block will have the insertion point in the middle of them then use measure this will work great for straights you will need to offset a litte in/out to compensate on curves, if you have Autocad then you could look at lisp etc to do all sorts of patterns.

If you dont have autocad look at maybe drafsight its free and some of the other cad programs like Briscad, NOT LT. 

Edited by BIGAL

I think that a block with two holes would not go round a curve nicely. I would favour a single hole block with Measure, and vary the length of the line for a second Measure to get the pattern.

If the curve is a single arc (and even if it isn't), you might be able to use a polar array of circles, and then a second array slightly offset. The linear arrays would be even easier.

We are talking punch holes in leather work, for a handbag with a radius of 200 mm double holes spaced 10mm apart every 15 mm at a distance of 10mm from the edge, there would be a massive discrepancy on the distance from the edge to the center of the holes if you used a block, instead of them being 10mm from the edge, they would only be 9.9653mm probably make the goods look very shody. 😖