Oleson Project

fmsims02

I can't get the same results as the other students.  I can get as far as the rectangle was a line down the center.

I keep going, I stop hit the zoom button and it looks nothing like what's in the forum.  What am I doing wrong.

It would be great if someone would just get me pass the boundary lines.

Thank you in advance.....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• William Pegg

• fmsims02

• Steven P

What is this "rectangle with a line down the center" you are referring to?  

The boundary or subdivison lines for Oleson Village do not form a rectangle.  This can be seen in any number of images depicting the Oleson Village plat map.  After locating the POB (benchmark used as the Point Of Beginning) and constructing the boundary lines the student is then asked to lay out lots 1 through 3 after which the two main subdivison roads, SW 85th Avenue and SW Village Lane are laid out.  Refer to pages 6 and 7 of the project PFD file you have in your possession.

Hi, and thank you for responding.  I found information on how to begin the/my survey plat map from the forum which was posted back in 2012.   I'm pretty sure I'm not following the proper steps.   Now, I'm a little apprehensive about where to begin.  Also I have learned that I should change my units from feet to inches and input my numbers properly.  There is a place here in the forum that's designed for surveying that looks quite promising. I'm taking a break until tomorrow morning.  Thanks again...

Have you located the POB (Point of Beginning)?

Have you drawn the subdivision border?

Have you attempted to lay out the property lines for lots 1 through 3?

The forum regarding surveying most likely is for people who use AutoCAD Civil 3D.  I doubt you'll get much help in that forum.

My assignment is AutoCAD Commands Blocks and Layers.  I just can't get started,  I am able to input all my layers, units, texts, not able to set a block for trees yet, because I can't select objects if they haven't been put into the drawing?  Anyways, I move on to the survey information starting with setting my coordinates 0,0, 1421334.93,783207.62, BM #8332.

And without fail everything fall apart right there.  It's quite frustrating.  I can't believe I completed this section with such a high percentage.

(1)   Should I use start by entering 0,0 and 1421334.93,783207.62. or  BM#8332 and 1421334.93,783207.62.

(2)  What about my layers, does it not matter which layer is set?

(3)   There is a section of here that has my numbers @113.66 should be input as 113.66<N5D27'23"W.  Which is the proper input.

AutoCAD is no fun, I know this is all part of the learning process, however, I also believe that this does not need to be so difficult.  I started this assignment three days ago and I always end up at the same place for a boundary.  I just need to get to a basic layout...…

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

No, you cannot INSERT a block if it hasn't been created yet.  The instructions for creating the block called TREE are found on page 4.  Be sure to create the tree block on layer 0 so that when inserted on a layer that has a color other than white the block will take on the color of that layer (ex. - Trees-save = color Green).  Go ahead and create the TREE block.

The student is told, on page 3 of the instructions to set the drawings limits at 0,0 for the lower left hand corner and 10000000, 10000000 for the upper right hand corner.  This is done using the LIMITS command.  Why P-F has the students setting the limits as such is questionable in my judgement since the entire subdivision could very neatly fit within a much smaller range of coordinates.  Have you set your limits?  Yes or No?

Now it is time to locate the center point of benchmark BM#8332.  Start the LINE command.  STOP!  Look at the command line.  It says, "Specify first point:" .  Type the following: 0,0 then press the Enter key.  STOP!  Look at the command line.  It says, "LINE specify next point or... [UNDO]:".  Type the following: 1421334.93,783207.62 then press the Enter key.  Now, press the Enter key one more time to end the LINE command.  Don't worry if you cannot see the end point of the line.  Do a Zoom > All or a Zoom > Extents and the full line should now be visible on your screen.  The line will be 1622839.2278 units long and angle off to the right at approximately 61 degrees.  How do we know this?  Simple invoke the LIST command and select the line.  A text window will appear with the information.

Zoom in on the up right hand end of the line you just created.  This endpoint will be the center point of your benchmark symbol and the starting point for locating the Point-of-Beginning (POB) of the subdivision boundary.

To locate the POB we need to draw a reference line FROM the center of the benchmark.  Start the LINE command and when asked to specify the first point pick the end of the line you created previously.  STOP!  Look at the command line.  You're asked to specify the next point.  Type the following just as it appears: @113.66<N5D27'23"W then press the Enter key.  Press the Enter key one more time and the LINE command will end.  The upper end of the line you have just created is the starting point for creating the four sided boundary of the subdivision.  All the instructions you need to complete the above steps can be found on pages 4 and 5.

Save your drawing at this point.  Once you have done that move on to page 6 and using the same methodology as above draw the four boundary lines.  That's how you start the project.

Got it?  Good.  Now go forth and do!  

Hi Sir,  Thank you for helping me with this. I've created my tree block and yes I've also set my limits (50.00). I followed your instructions however, I can not see the end point, that line is awfully long.  I switch to cleanscreen and it's still goes and goes. Oh and I typed in zoom>all and zoom>extent and still can't see the end point?  Yes, I also involved the list command and read the information there but I couldn't do anything with it.  I am sure I miss a step...

Oh and what about the layer, does it matter which layer this line is on (according to the list info it says layer 0)?

You set your limits to 50.00?  How and why?  I ask because I provided you with very specific instructions on how to set the drawing limits for this project which came directly from P-F.  If you aren't going to follow the instructions, to the letter, you will not obtain the desired results.

Re: the LIST command.  This command is basically used for informational purposes.  You were not instructed to do anything with the information.  The basic purpose was to verify the length and angle of the line compared to what I provided above.

The layer the line is on should be called out in your project instructions.  Lines that are on wrong layers will be marked down when it comes time to grade your project.  Too many mistakes similar to this will cause you to get a failing grade.  Let's try to avoid that if we can.

Edited by ReMark

I would really like you to be able to accomplish the above all on your own without my help.  So, please give it one more try.

If you still run into a problem then the attached drawing (saved in AutoCAD 2010 file format), which is very basic, may be used to start the project.  It consists of a rectangle that is large enough to contain the entire subdivision layout.  Additionally, it contains a single line with a circle at the far right end with the words "Centerpoint of BM#8332.  This is where your benchmark symbol will be located and it is the jumping off point for drawing the reference line that is 113.66 units long at an angle of N5D27'23"W (the required input for a bearing in AutoCAD).  The endpoint of this line is where the student begins drawing the subdivision boundary which is done in a counter-clockwise direction starting towards the northeast, then due west, then due south and finally back to the point of beginning.

All objects that will ultimately be drawn (including text) should fall within the limits of the rectangle (layer: Reference only, color: yellow).  If an object falls outside the rectangle then you have drawn it incorrectly.  Got it?  Good.  Now you should be on your way to finally starting the project.  Don't forget...draw objects on their assigned layer per the P-F instructions.  Go!

Oleson Village Limits.dwg

• 4 years later...
On 12/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, ReMark said:

No, you cannot INSERT a block if it hasn't been created yet.  The instructions for creating the block called TREE are found on page 4.  Be sure to create the tree block on layer 0 so that when inserted on a layer that has a color other than white the block will take on the color of that layer (ex. - Trees-save = color Green).  Go ahead and create the TREE block.

The student is told, on page 3 of the instructions to set the drawings limits at 0,0 for the lower left hand corner and 10000000, 10000000 for the upper right hand corner.  This is done using the LIMITS command.  Why P-F has the students setting the limits as such is questionable in my judgement since the entire subdivision could very neatly fit within a much smaller range of coordinates.  Have you set your limits?  Yes or No?

Now it is time to locate the center point of benchmark BM#8332.  Start the LINE command.  STOP!  Look at the command line.  It says, "Specify first point:" .  Type the following: 0,0 then press the Enter key.  STOP!  Look at the command line.  It says, "LINE specify next point or... [UNDO]:".  Type the following: 1421334.93,783207.62 then press the Enter key.  Now, press the Enter key one more time to end the LINE command.  Don't worry if you cannot see the end point of the line.  Do a Zoom > All or a Zoom > Extents and the full line should now be visible on your screen.  The line will be 1622839.2278 units long and angle off to the right at approximately 61 degrees.  How do we know this?  Simple invoke the LIST command and select the line.  A text window will appear with the information.

Zoom in on the up right hand end of the line you just created.  This endpoint will be the center point of your benchmark symbol and the starting point for locating the Point-of-Beginning (POB) of the subdivision boundary.

To locate the POB we need to draw a reference line FROM the center of the benchmark.  Start the LINE command and when asked to specify the first point pick the end of the line you created previously.  STOP!  Look at the command line.  You're asked to specify the next point.  Type the following just as it appears: @113.66<N5D27'23"W then press the Enter key.  Press the Enter key one more time and the LINE command will end.  The upper end of the line you have just created is the starting point for creating the four sided boundary of the subdivision.  All the instructions you need to complete the above steps can be found on pages 4 and 5.

Save your drawing at this point.  Once you have done that move on to page 6 and using the same methodology as above draw the four boundary lines.  That's how you start the project.

I followed your instructions and didn't get a second line.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, ReMark said:

These pages that you are referring too; How do I find those?  Because my textbook doesn't contain what you are describing.

You wrote: "I spoke to my instructor about this issue and they don't have a clue."

I find it hard to believe that your instructor does not have a clue.  What is in the so-called "textbook" that you have and what format is it in?  Is it an actual textbook or a PDF file?

17 hours ago, ReMark said:

You wrote: "I spoke to my instructor about this issue and they don't have a clue."

I find it hard to believe that your instructor does not have a clue.  What is in the so-called "textbook" that you have and what format is it in?  Is it an actual textbook or a PDF file?

It's an actual textbook titled AutoCad 2023 Fundamentals. I spoke to my instructor and he told that he doesn't really work with AutoCad

I have a PDF file from 2012 that I could email you, but I am still puzzled as to why you have been assigned a project that you do not have a complete set of instructions for.  What is more disturbing, however, is the fact your instructor told you "he doesn't really work with AutoCAD."  What CAD program does he work with?  What qualifies him to be an AutoCAD instructor?  Send me a private message that includes your email address and I'll send you a copy of what I have.

Why are you starting a new thread about the Penn-Foster Oleson Village project?  You started off asking questions in an already established thread about the same project.  BTW... you never took me up on my offer re: project PDF.  Why?