How to apply line Labels when the line is created? (not tagging lines after they're made though)

Incognito Cube

Good morning everyone!

I was just going through an adjoining property to one of my Plats & I had a thought (oh no!) I wanted to explore.

While I'm recreating the boundary of the adj subdivision, I was wondering, is there any sort of add-on/LISP/Macro that would possibly annotate the line (Bear/Dist) upon creation of said entity? Has anyone heard of anything like that? I was only thinking about this due to, as far as I know, the inability to quickly recall the Line By Bearing command. The jig goes a little something like this: Lines/Curves --> Create Lines --> Line By Bearing --> *Draw line* --> End Command --> Add Labels --> *Annotate Line* [repeat as necessarry]

It just gets a little tedious labeling each line as I create them to check my work as I go. My alternative is, of course, just drawing out the whole boundary, converting it to PLINE, and using the Multiple Segments annotate option from the Add Labels dialogue box. But then checking becomes monotonous and open to notorious 'eye glazing', missing something like a tenth of an inch difference between recorded information and the newly created lines. Thoughts, recommendations?

Do a search its a pretty common sort of question, from a land surveying point of view you dont want draw a line and label rather a enter brg enter distance the brg can be entered as a brg.mmss 123.4532 123 degrees 45 minutes 32 seconds, makes life much easier. I am in AUS so we enter brg only I know some parts of the world enter N123 etc.

So where are you in the world ? 

Hey Bigal, 

I did perform a quick search yesterday & once more just now.. Maybe I'm not using the correct keywords to find what I'm looking for, but I haven't seen anyone talking about lines being created with the labels on them already, but then again my searches were only for about 5 minutes each. 

I'm in the Central Florida, USA part of the world! I do vaguely remember originally learning to draw lines by bear/dist directly out of the line command with the whole ##.##' <brg.mmss format, but everything we work with bearing-wise is split into quadrants of NE (1), SE (2), SW (3), and NW (4) all of course having 90d and are shown on recorded docs in the format of N54d24'34"E, so the Line By Bearing command is perfect to use to recreate those bearings, as I definitely don't trust my mathematical skills to apply the correct additive factor depending on which quadrant I'm going in on the fly haha

But the only reason I like to label the lines as I go is for checking purposes. For instance if my polygonal boundary doesn't close. As some of the boundaries I'm recreating can have upwards of 100 segments, it's easier for my brain to keep on track by checking as I go rather than drawing out the boundary & checking each line afterwords with a Multiple Segment annotation in the Add Labels command. I know it's a little backwards from how most land surveyors work in the QC phase, but I have much better results in the end if I check as I go especially since I'm usually entering these segment calls without my eyes leaving the legal description that I'm reading. It'd just be nice to be able to glance at my other screen if I beleive I may have 'fat-fingered' the wrong number lol

I hope I've explained a little better about my thought process here, I definitely tend to go off on tangents (ha) and jump all over the place when I'm explainging this stuff.. But again, I was only curious about if it was possible to draw a line and have it created with a label already applied to it.. It's not like I'm going to loose sleep over not being able to do this, I've got enough to loose sleep over as it is :P

Edited by Incognito Cube

• Incognito Cube changed the title to How to apply line Labels when the line is created? (not tagging lines after they're made though)

You could still do a NE54.2434 and pull it apart into NE 54 24 34  then convert to correct Brg for drawing a line. Then add label text as you go. As you say searching is about correct words and can be quick or time consuming. Will have a look later.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really no biggie. I've got my current system that works well for my intended purposes. I was more just curious if what I was thinking of could be done, I'd rather not waste your time on something like this, but if you do happen to stumble across anything it would be very much appreciated!

Either way, thank you for your insight! :)

Edited by Incognito Cube

pick start point

enter neDEGMMSS & dist, see getvals3.lsp here

draw a line 

find mid of line, label as required use lee-mac line labeler so text is always readable.

Repeat use last or new point.