Creating a ViewPort in Model Space

Bill Tillman

I have an isometric of some 3D shapes in model space. The previous detailer created this file so I'm kind of stuck with that format. They drew everything in model space and did not use the layout tabs. So now I want to add a viewport to the model space in on of the areas that will be a page and use it to rotate and set the view options for this isometric. But when I type VPORTS while I'm in model space and then select a single viewport, the cursor just clears and I'm back at the command prompt. ??? So how does one go about creating a Viewport in model space?

BTW, I can create a new layout tab and add a viewport and then set the view angle using 3DFORBIT. 

Edited by Bill Tillman

I've always used the MVIEW command to create a paper space viewport in a layout.  I also create a layer for my views (aptly named VPORTS) and set it not to print.

I previously wrote "create a paper space viewport in model space."  That was in error.  I corrected that statement.  My apologies.

Edited by ReMark

Thanks ReMark, but open up your copy of AutoCAD, go to the Model Space and type MVIEW....? At least my copy which is 2018 will return with the message,  ** Command not allowed in Model Tab **. Now I know this copy of AutoCAD is having some quirks, especially with the graphics driver, but I don't think this is the command to place a viewport in model space. This is a new method for me so any advice will be appreciated.

maratovich,

I gotta say I never heard of the FLATSHOT command, but I know about it now. Thanks. I ran it on my isometric and it did something like I want but the view angle is all wrong for what I need. So I'm going to hack around with this as I think it's going to work great.

You can create other view ports in MS but you won't be able to use them to plot like you can viewports in a PS layout.  VPORTS should bring up a dialog box, pick one of the predefined configurations, among other ways to do it.

rkent, thanks but when I type VPORTS in model space and choose single it does nothing. Which makes sense because as I read, you can't really create viewports in model space. You are simply splitting the screen into two or more windows to view with. I think the FLATSHOT command is what I will end up using for this.

UPDATE: Thanks all. The FLATSHOT command took the 3D view and made it into a lovely 2D view which looks like a 3D view, which is what I was after. This is going to work great for these kind of tasks.

Edited by Bill Tillman

FYI - choosing single will give you a single vport, which you already have so, yes, nothing happens.  The viewports in MS are with Tilemode set to 1 and can only be set to 1, so the viewports work like tiles, you can change their size and add more but they can never overlap or be plotted at one time.

Sounds like Flatshot is working for you so that is good.  If I run into a file like that I simply change it to use a PS layout so I can get it to work the way I need.  This will usually involve using Chspace on the titleblock and creating several viewports.

view ports in model space are different than in paperspace, a single viewport is the norm, but it isn't adjustable in the way I think you are expecting, in model space viewports are only there to offer split views and can only ever split your screen into equal parts, so two viewports would split the screen horizontally or vertically 3 viewports can be split in a number of ways 3 equal sizes vertically/horizontally or split equally down the middle and one of those halves again split equally, you can view the options from the viewport dialogue, you can then split those viewports again up to a maximum of 64. But these aren't designed for printing layouts they are usually used so people can view 3D models from a number of angles simultaneously, you really need to create the paper layouts to get at the viewports as you want to use them. A single viewport in model space is just that "model space" and is used to reset everything back to normal.

You can create shortcuts for the vpoint command this allows quick view a 3d object from a pre defined direction. Eg -vpoint 1,1,1 is 45 hor and vert. You can set top left etc its a case of x,y,z 1,0,1 etc. so just use a layout and vpoint.

steven-g, minor point, the viewports in MS can made larger or smaller by clicking and dragging the edge.  So we are no longer limited to the equal split of the past.  Even in the old days we would create more viewports and then combine them to make varying sizes of viewports, albeit always rectangular.   I forget when this was added, but obviously is a fairly recent addition.  You can grab the 'grip' near the bottom / top of a viewport and pull to create another viewport as well.  As I say, a minor point and doesn't help the OP.

Edited by rkent

@rkent

When was that introduced? the resizing I mean, it's been a long time since I used Model viewports but that is a great feature, yeah I always used to create multiple viewpoints and then join them to get a good layout.