Length in a List

RepCad

Hi all,  I have a problem in a part of my program, I don't know how find Maximum Length in List, Example of List :  

MyList = ("Excel" "Access" "IDM" "Autocad")

in this list length for each element is  = ( 5 6 3 7 )

so Maximum Length in my list  = 7 , Then i need a code or function to get "7"

Can anyone help me?

Tharwat,Thank you for reply, but it's not what I want, if you read my written carefully , I need to get Max Length of all Text Length. For Example : 

List = ("Bridge" "Building" "Canal" "Gas_Pipe" "Railway_Station")   =>>>>  Result = 15

No worries, I thought you just wanted the max number of the second list and not the primary one.

(apply 'max (mapcar 'strlen '("Bridge" "Building" "Canal" "Gas_Pipe" "Railway_Station")))

• Like 1

Yes, That's it. Thanks a lot Tharwat.

In this code also, can we find Text itself? i mean in that example is =>>>> "Railway_Station"

You're welcome.

You can use member function to find a member from a list and be mindful is that the string would be case sensitive in this case.

(member "Railway_Station" '("Bridge" "Building" "Canal" "Gas_Pipe" "Railway_Station"))

• Like 1

Yes I have to use Member function , but I mean is how to find member of maximum length in list. in above example is "Railway_Station" that have maximum lenght.

1 hour ago, amir0914 said:

Yes I have to use Member function , but I mean is how to find member of maximum length in list. in above example is "Railway_Station" that have maximum lenght.

Once the string is matched in a list then the length of that string would be the one with the desired length.

eg:

(if (setq f (member "Railway_Station" '("Bridge" "Building" "Canal" "Gas_Pipe" "Railway_Station")))
  (strlen (car f))
  )

• Like 1

Perhaps this is what you want?

(setq l '("Bridge" "Building" "Canal" "Gas_Pipe" "Railway_Station"))
(car (vl-sort l '(lambda (a b) (> (strlen a) (strlen b)))))

Edited by ronjonp
  • Like 1

FWIW, for longer list lengths, you'll want to consider using a function such as this to determine the extrema for a given function applied over a list, since this will involve far fewer comparisons than a sort operation.

For your example, this would be:

_$ (setq l '("Bridge" "Building" "Canal" "Gas_Pipe" "Railway_Station"))
("Bridge" "Building" "Canal" "Gas_Pipe" "Railway_Station")
_$ (extremum '(lambda ( a b ) (> (strlen a) (strlen b))) l)
"Railway_Station"

• Like 2