Dashed line for hidden block boundary

Adju

Hello there,

I was not sure about the title to use for the topic. I got a situation here and i was hoping that someone could help me if the thing i'm looking for exist.

Ok, let's say i have two blocks. One is a square and the other one is a circle (my blocks are more complex than that).

Each blocks contain wipeout. So if i move one over the other, it will partially hide the other one. My need is that i want to show, with a dashed line, the "hidden boundary" of the hided block.

I found on Lee Mac's page this application : http://www.lee-mac.com/objectbreak.html. Amazing ! But instead of breaking line, i want to add a line (dashed or anything else). I'm doing it manually but when you move the position off the blocks and add rotation, it's actually fastidious to do it all the time. So, if someone has seen something that could do the trick, it would really help me a lot. Thanks in advance !

I am trying to remember the subject name but you can draw a boundary of the object, so you would do two one for each block, then trim. You may be able to use the wipeout shape to do the same. Lee-mac has code for the boundary creation, if you have CIV3d its a command called Shrinkwrap. 

Have to go now will have a look later.

Had a look and as you made the original block with a wipeout, the easiest way is to look at the block name and have stored those co-ordinates say in a text file then draw a dashed pline. You can get the co-ords of the wipeout but not sure as part of a block adds complication hence the simpler text file solution.   

Post a dwg with the two blocks.

Edited by BIGAL

You can try something like this :

- I've set OBSUREDLTYPE=5

- I've set VSOBSCUREDLTYPE=5

But I think that this doesn't influence on later setting of custom Visual Style... Instead of BLOCK - You have to create thin 3DSOLID that overlaps your other shape - BLOCK...

Look in picture - those settings marked red are necessity...

PARTIALLY DASHED HIDDEN SHAPE.jpg

Actually, you don't need to make thin 3DSOLID, you can do it with REGION the same... Just move BLOCK with REGION outline slightly on higher elevation than the shape that you want to partially hide with dashed lines... Settings for Visual Style you need to apply are shown in above picture...

HTH., M.R.

Another idea:

Change the linetype of the entities in the partially hidden block to ByBlock.

Insert the block on top of the existing 'assembly'.

Change the linetype of the insert to Hidden.

This will of course only work if the partially hidden block does not contain a wipeout.

Perhaps putting the wipeouts in separate blocks is feasible?

Or maybe a 'checkered' wipeout? Or use a hatch instead of a wipeout?

Edited by Roy_043

Its complicated working out the outer shape of two random blocks and how they intersect. Again I think making two outer boundaries would be the best way but trimming the correct section hmmm, and make it it dashed. Cookie cutter comes to mind to get the remaining section.

Again adju need a dwg with sample blocks.

image.png.51fbdc6cdfc54d7754187fb04a04f523.pngimage.thumb.png.ac8c812ecbb97ac786733086e1654945.png

Edited by BIGAL

Thank you all for your inputs. Actually i'm doing what BIGAL is suggesting.

I joined a part of a drawing that i have to update (as-built) as per construction data. It's a new support for antennas and equipments on a tubular tower. Gray hatching is just for showing new elements vs existing ones.

I didn't do the drawing. So you'll see there is a lot of elements that are not part of blocks. We have people here that do things the old ways. Not exactly productive when you have to change things in those drawings.

The pieces i'm trying to work on is the two (2) one that i have circled in yellow (elevation view). Those are for the connection of the bracing (round bar with welded plates).

Since contractors do not installed exactly the two level of the pinwheel as shown on the drawing (1610 mm circled in green), i have to move the connectors because the bracing have always the same lenght. Then you see that we put a dashed line to show the boundary of the bracing. Depending on the position of connectors, i have to rotate those dasshed lines and adjust everything.

So, thanks again for the inputs you send me.

Test2.dwg