optical geometry recognition

samifox

hi

is there any "optical geometry recognition" available? a feature that can the drawing and can recognize doors, windows, stairs,etc..? the same as OCR but for geometry?

Thanks

S

The world of optical recognition is getting better all the time just think about facial recognition, every day now in supply plants a bottle not quite the right colour its rejected, its in the future. Pattren recgonition is out there I am sure, what did google reveal ?

Edited by BIGAL

• 3 months later...

I haven't heard of this, specifically, but my gut tells me it's around the corner.  It sounds like the tech level is to the point now where that is the next logical step to go in.

Can u imagine the hours saved?

I've worked on some projects of buildings constructed in the 1940's and just to get a design going in CAD you have to asbuilt the entire building first and make adjustments here and there when the real world measurements don't match the old hand-drawn prints.  crazy.

-ChriS

Yeah I have heard of autodesk software where drones can be used to take images from different angles and that data gets imported to create a 3D model with the imagery of those areas overlayed as textures.  Standard cameras can be used too just the data isn't as accurate since there's less data points from various angles.

For example, Autodesk used to have a mobile app that could do similar stuff with your camera phone.  The app would snap photos as you walked around a scene or object and Autodesk would email you a DWG file with that data interpreted as a 360 degree wire mesh with the imagery overlayed as a texture file.

The app isn't available anymore I don't think.  But a couple years ago they introduced the capability to do similar stuff with existing historical buildings and such that may or may not have any drawings to start with.

If I remember correctly, it requires a couple different autodesk programs. But there were some pretty nifty youtube videos of how the process works.

I once used 3D building data in google earth pro to measure out a building, doors, windows, etc. so my preliminary elevations were at least somewhat close.

It can also be used for roof projects or siding projects to estimate materials (roughly).

ChriS

Edited by ammobake

I have been exposed to drone field survey data and its pretty amazing all the power poles etc fences. We had an underground drain 3d scanned it was amazing to fly along the level of detail was extremely impressive, you could see the surface in the hand carved bluestone blocks in the walls.

If any one wants it did a take photo's on your phone and add the photos to your plans at the correct lat long. Found it to be about +-5m Note phone must have gps photo enabled.