SketchUp 2019 released

f700es

Here is the official blog post on the new versions...

https://blog.sketchup.com/article/a-whole-new-way-to-sketchup

Honestly a bit underwhelming on this release, again. One can finally do dashed lines but it is only by layer it seems. They also introduced a new subscription model which one can buy into SU Pro for less up front but on the 4th year and above you will have spent more than just buying the $700 upfront.  More can be read on the above blog post.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, f700es said:

If $700 is a problem for a small business to do business then their business model is pretty weak imho.

Well, it all depends on a lot of factors.  A week old one person startup trying to decide on software vs hardware...yes, $700 is a big decision.  A company like Tyson Foods or Walmart?  They will spend $700 to process the paperwork.

Yes, it is part of the process but it shows a weak business plan to not plan for it. Software AND hardware should be part of the same plan, to me anyway. My $.02 ;)

On 11/26/2019 at 10:05 AM, f700es said:

Yes, it is part of the process but it shows a weak business plan to not plan for it. Software AND hardware should be part of the same plan, to me anyway. My $.02 ;)

absolutely part of the same plan.  but not everyone has unlimited funding.  some folks have to scratch and claw their way to what they want.  sometimes an opportunity will present itself  that is too good to pass up, but you might not be ready to do it.  plan all you want, but life will occasionally throw a curve ball.  the vagaries of politics and economics make it difficult on everyone.  so do you take the chance, even if you're not quite prepared, or pass it up?   don't get me wrong, I'm all for plans and preparation, but nobody can think of everything.that might happen, and unless you are already independently wealthy, you certainly at some point won't have enough money for something. I started a cad business many years ago with a computer I built from spare parts and a c-size inkjet printer.  I bought the printer because I didn't know how to build one, but I did know how and had enough parts to build the computer.  It was a struggle for a while, but I made it work.  Why did it start it like that? A huge economic downturn shuttered most of the factories in this area, and I found myself unemployed for the first time in nearly 20 years. Threw out some ads on the internet, grazed the freelance sites and even got some occasional work from the place that laid me off. My business plan was formed in about 2 hours out of necessity.  bought that printer I told you about and a couple of packages of paper out of my last paycheck. shut it down and went back into the workforce a couple years later, but it kept the bills paid and food on the table.