Dynamic Block Question

Bill Tillman

I've come up with a dynamic block which I have working like I want it. As always, I'm very curious as to if this is the best practice. A similar block has been used by this client for a long time but it has some limitations. First, their block does not use the pyramid shape on the line indicating which direction the view is to be oriented. It also uses a rotation action which allows the line to point any angle desired. Almost 99% of the time this is used it will only need to point at angles 0, 90, 180 or 270. Okay that makes it simple but it would be nice if I could add a rotation which would allow the line to go at any angle. The pyramid gives me the freedom now to use this with a Visibility so that I can have any of the eight (8) orientations. My gut feeling is there might be a way to achieve this with out needing visibility states. Or maybe not!

I'm tweaking this a little more and have added another attribute which will allow a small text in it. Usually, this text will be "OPP." And it works pretty good, but I would like to have it re position itself depending on the other settings in the block. Not totally necessary but it would be nice to have this text included when needed and in the appropriate position.

Detail Tag 02.dwg

Edited by Bill Tillman

Hello Bill,

Here is a revised block of what you asked for. No more visibility states. Just rotation and flip actions. If you want 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees, just press  "F8" and you'll be in ortho.

About the note position... a quick one would be to unlock the position of the attribute (like i did) and manually move it around as you need.

Detail Tag 02_Rev.dwg